Can’t make it out to the backcountry right now? We’ve got you covered in this interactive course designed specifically for our online learners—teaching the same core leadership principles that make a NOLS expedition so meaningful. Join NOLS faculty to link NOLS field-tested backcountry leadership learnings to your frontcountry life.
We’ll meet over Zoom every other week for 4 sessions (3 hours each) beginning February 28—giving you plenty of time in between our sessions to put into action what we’ve discussed. Join us from your home or office while you enjoy a cup of coffee, maté, or hot chocolate. This course is also the perfect fit if your organization offers professional development or continuing education training funds.
Does this sound like you?
- You want to turbocharge your ability to motivate and inspire others to achieve their highest potential
- Expedition behavior, or commitment to group over self, is a core part of your personal leadership philosophy
- You are eager to fine tune your judgment and decision making to better serve as an advisor to your peers
- Turning vision into action feels like a key to driving successful outcomes on your team
- You view tolerance for adversity and uncertainty as a meaningful way to function effectively under difficult circumstances and stay connected with others
- You have a willingness to get out of your comfort zone and learn from others
In this course, we’ll visit core NOLS leadership skills and reflect on how to apply them in your daily life to create stronger, more effective, and more collaborative teams. This course will cover key elements of the NOLS leadership curriculum including:
- Leadership roles and leadership skills
- Decision-making styles
- Risk management
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Facilitating and debriefing
- Hands-on practice and team-based activities
- Develop your network of leaders who seek to make a difference in their worlds
- Enjoy close personal interaction with introspective and inspiring peers
- Recharge and reflect on your leadership style
- Build an action plan to implement these learnings into your work life
- Be inspired by stories from the field