Unfortunately the patient did not get better. Over the next 24 hours he developed a cough, and began to hack up a pale yellow phlegm. His headache persisted despite hydration and ibuprofen, as did his muscle aches and general malaise. The fever stayed at 100°F (37.4°C). His appetite did not improve and the nausea persisted.
You understand that none of his s/s yet triggered your program's evacuation guidelines, and you would like to wait another day to see if he feels any better. It would be unfortunate to leave the field and this great trip and then feel better in another day. But, at the same time you are worried about the route ahead, which crosses a high pass and moves much further from the trailhead. Also, the patient has been asking to go home. He thinks it is going to take a long time to feel better, and he doesn’t want to be in the field feeling this miserable.
Your decision is to walk him to the trailhead tomorrow. You’re hoping that without a pack he can manage the three miles. Your support group of five will be able to react if he is unable to walk.