Participant Title: NOLS US Instructor-in-Training 2022
Reports to: Minu Chae, Recruitment and Development Coordinator
Program Objective and Description:
The US Instructor-in-Training (IIT) Program focuses on developing skills to work in outdoor education for individuals from groups that are underrepresented in the outdoor industry. At this time, we are primarily recruiting self-identified Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). This program is split into three sections: in-town (April-May), field work (June-early August), and the IIT-Instructor Course (mid-August).
The in-town section will be a combination of in-town operational support experience at NOLS Rocky Mountain, a Wilderness First Responder course, a one-week canyon expedition, and multiple curriculum/skill days. During this time, IITs will gain exposure to NOLS curriculum and skills and will have the opportunity to actively practice them with one-on-one coaching and mentorship. Furthermore, IITs will gain an understanding of the behind-the-scenes workings of a large-scale outdoor education operation. After the in-town section, IITs will transition into field expeditions as an apprentice on an instructor team. They will gain further experience in the backcountry and work towards developing competency in NOLS Field Instructor Skills. At the end of the summer, all IITs will have the option to participate in the IIT-Instructor Course for a chance to be assessed as a NOLS Hiking Instructor.
Full Length of Program is April 2, 2022 - August 31, 2022
In-town Section: April 2, 2021 - May 22, 2021 (~8 weeks)
Field Section: June 1, 2022 - August 1, 2022. 4 to 8 weeks participation in a summer IIT field training. The summer field course and location will depend on a number of factors and will be coordinated during the in-town section by the Recruitment and Development Coordinator.
Capstone IIT Instructor Course (IIT-IC): Instructor Course specifically for IITs. 21 days in August (specific dates to be determined). Opportunity to be assessed as a NOLS Wilderness Hiking Instructor.
- All applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Strong interest in wilderness expeditions and a career in outdoor education.
- Some professional or personal backcountry hiking experience.
- Self-directed and motivated work ethic.
- Ability to learn well in a dynamic environment and adjust priorities quickly.
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills.
- Appreciation for the NOLS mission.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 pounds), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet medical, disability, or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved.
Motor Vehicle Record: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
E-verify: NOLS participates in E-verify
Location: NOLS Rocky Mountain in Lander, Wyoming. NOLS covers travel to other states for summer field courses if necessary.
- In-town section - $440 weekly stipend (8 weeks) - access to a shared food box
- Room, all class materials, and wilderness gear rental included
- Wilderness First Responder tuition fully covered
- Field wages - $71 a day (4-6 weeks)
- $600 travel reimbursement for travel to/from Lander, WY
- Travel is fully covered to/from field contracts
- IIT-Development Fund - $300 upon application
- Insurance benefits not included
To Apply: The US IIT Program has a 2-step application process.
Step 1. Complete the form at the following link:
Application Form (includes 1-2 professional references)
Step 2. Email resume to:
Minu Chae, Recruitment and Development Coordinator email@example.com
Closing Date for Applications: January 2, 2022
Applicants will be given an update or an invitation to interview shortly after the deadline. Final decisions will be announced on January 24, 2022.
NOLS is not authorized to issue J-1 visas for the NOLS US IIT Program.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.