JOB TITLE: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Horse Trainer/Horsepacker
REPORTS TO: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Primary objective of this position is to train our NOLS herd of horses (starting/re-starting young mustangs to finishing horses to become student rides), as well as train our staff to develop their horsepersonship skills and work with these horses.
This person will also:
- Pack food and equipment into remote areas of the Wind River Mountains, in support of NOLS Rocky Mountain hiking, climbing and mountaineering courses.
- Support courses during their time at Three Peaks Ranch and in the field.
- Be a resource to instructors, students and visitors during their time at Three Peaks.
- Help out the Three Peaks Ranch team, as needed, with other ranch tasks, including but not limited to: cleaning facilities, developing a strong working community, driving, herd care/management, etc.
- Strong work ethic.
- Effective, open communication skills.
- Experience in training horses, ability to problem-solve and ask for help/use outside resources to achieve desired results, willingness to continue to learn and grow in their horsepersonship skills
- Excitement and willingness to teach people how to train horses
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to perform physical labor and lift 80 lb. panniers onto the back of a horse, with assistance.
- Desire to learn, live, and work in a small community, and contribute to a positive working and living environment.
- Must be able to accommodate an ever-changing work schedule, which may include working weekends, 13+ hour days, and 60+ hour weeks.
- Desire to learn and then execute ranch operations and horse-packing practices.
- Experience in some of the following skills: vetting, shoeing, hauling livestock, and pasture maintenance.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
- May supervise others on re-supply trips and at Three Peaks.
- Oversight of training progression for project horses in NOLS herd.
- Oversight of staff training (in conjunction with the Leadership team) in how people work with their project horses.
- Responsible for driving students, other staff and hauling horses to and from re-supply and course locations.
- Oversee stock well-being in the backcountry and at Three Peaks Ranch.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for petty cash, credit cards, and accounts as necessary.
- Oversee horse training progression for the NOLS herd in collaboration with Three Peaks leadership team.
- Provide herd briefings & debriefings for Instructor teams.
- Train at least a few horses each day for 3-5 days/week.
- Train staff members in how to work with horses that will both empower staff to learn and grow and benefit the horses.
- Prepare and conduct re-supply trips in remote mountain settings.
- Assist with vehicle inspections, loading, and transporting people and stock.
- Support operational logistics and transportation tasks.
- Effectively communicate and work closely and in a team.
- Clean and prepare facilities, as a part of a living and working environment.
- Maintain and develop positive relations with local businesses and community.
- Create a welcoming environment and support students and instructors on courses, as needed.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT: All employees who are not working remotely and who have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch in Boulder, Wyoming. Private housing and food is provided on-site, throughout employment, for a small fee. Kitchen and living areas are communal.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and a video of you working with a horse to McKenzie Woolley, NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager.
Contact: McKenzie Woolley with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 3, 2022
STARTING DATE: This is a 3 - 5 month position starting in May or June and ending in August or September (specific dates flexible), 2022.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.