JOB TITLE: Senior Admissions Officer for Custom Education & Expeditions
REPORTS TO: Expeditions Admissions Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Work as a member of the NOLS Admissions team to provide excellent service to enrolled students, their families and emergency contacts. Assist Expedition Admissions Officers with reviewing complex student health issues as part of the enrollment process.
Be responsive and accessible to students, making them feel supported and welcome at NOLS from the moment they select their course until the day they arrive on campus to start their expedition.
This role will begin in the NOLS Custom Education department, working to support admissions on NOLS custom courses. In Fall 2021, some of NOLS Custom Education’s admissions responsibilities will be transferred to the NOLS Expedition Admissions department. At that time, this position will also transition full-time into the NOLS Expedition Admissions department, where this individual will continue to support student enrollment while also helping to support expertise about NOLS Custom Education clients within the NOLS Expedition Admissions team.
QUALIFICATIONS: A passion for customer service and connecting students to the NOLS mission is necessary. Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills. Must be able to track and appropriately prioritize detailed tasks. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment. NOLS faculty or experience supporting NOLS expedition course operations preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY OPPORTUNITIES: Opportunity to innovate Admissions systems and approaches. Work with the Expedition Admissions Manager to develop new systems and approaches that will reduce student cancellation rates and steward students effectively through their admissions process and onto their expedition. This position will either supervise Enrollment Support staff, or take a leadership role on department-wide projects.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for securing tuition payments, and for accurately discussing account status, transfer policies and cancellation policies. Each Admissions Officer is responsible for managing the enrollment process for rosters representing over $4,000,000 in tuition revenue.
- Positively represent and promote NOLS to students, families, and emergency contacts. Share commitment to the positive, life changing opportunities we provide students.
- Communicate clearly, effectively, and in a timely manner with students, families and emergency contacts.
- Responsible for managing all enrollment-oriented communication, including sometimes challenging situations using nuanced listening and processing skills, de-escalating communication tactics, empathy, and differentiation.
- Maintain consistent engagement with all enrolled students. Keep students excited for and interested in their NOLS expedition.
- Be able to accurately answer a variety of questions about course activities, classrooms, locations, equipment, curriculum, and NOLS policies.
- Work closely with location program staff to help serve enrolled students. Engage location staff as part of a larger system to keep enrolled students commited and informed.
- Work with the university relations coordinator to help students navigate financial aid, college credit, visas, VA funding, and Americorp awards.
- Process student enrollment forms.
- Discuss difficult or sensitive topics such as medical and mental health concerns and finances with tact, care, and directness.
- Tightly manage rosters by communicating with students about tuition payments and needed forms and removing non-responsive students promptly.
- Collaborate with customer service and marketing representatives to provide support to prospective students by responding to inquiry emails and answering incoming phone calls.
- Contribute to a working environment that is based in teamwork, and is student-focused and solution oriented.
- Occasional weekend and evening work schedule in order to support customer service at times that are convenient for our students, families and emergency contacts.
- Assume or assist with other projects and systems development as requested by the admissions manager.
- In addition, the Senior Expedition Admissions Officer will:
- Review complex health forms, contacting students/parents for Expedition Admissions. Reviewing health and dietary write-ups for the Expedition Admissions team.
- Help create structures and implement communication to ensure complex student cases receive necessary cross-departmental support for the best student outcome.
- Share on-call responsibilities to respond to urgent student needs as they are preparing to travel or en-route to their course location.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: Lander, Wyoming. Remote work considered on a case by case basis in AK, AZ, CA, CO, ID, ME, MN, MT, NM, NY, UT, WA, and WY.
This is a full time position.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and résumé to Operations Office Manager Debbie Derbish at firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about the position, please contact Expedition Admissions Manager Kahla Gubanich at email@example.com
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to those submitted by June 29, 2021.
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.