JOB TITLE: Rocky Mountain Assistant Rations Manager - Special Dietary
REPORTS TO: NOLS Rocky Mountain Rations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Contribute to all aspects of the NOLS Rocky Mountain rations (field food) department. Provide nutritious, well rounded, food for students and instructors who have dietary restrictions. Over 40% of NOLS Rocky Mountain students have dietary needs and accommodations. Aid in educating on basic nutrition, meal planning and on the NOLS bulk rationing system.
- Desire to provide excellent customer service and contribute to a positive working environment are essential.
- Should display strong organizational skills and work ethic.
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work independently and on a team.
- Must be able to lift and carry 30+ lbs.
- Ability to work flexible hours is necessary, including some weekends and holidays.
- Proficient with computer skills.
- Familiarity with the philosophy of bulk field rations, cooking, and/ or knowledge of nutrition are preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Place food orders, maintain inventory and monitor food costs. Help train, orient and supervise all seasonal staff. Responsible for briefing field staff and students with their course ration preparations.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for the accounting of $380K in food inventory and $80K in food sales revenue. Must be able to reconcile daily cash register receipts.
- Work with Expedition Admissions and Rations Manager to determine appropriate dietary accommodations for students and instructors.
- Communicate with expedition admissions, students and instructors about dietary accommodations and needs.
- Order and track bulk foods and supplies on an ongoing basis in relation to inventory and demand.
- Find, stock, and order replacements for common allergies and accommodations.
- Oversee delivery and processing of orders including stocking and inventory management.
- Assist in hiring and supervision of seasonal employees.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with food vendors.
- Operate a cash register, balance it and make deposits.
- Assist in planning for issuing bulk food to NOLS courses.
- Assist the public, instructors and students with food purchases.
- Share in the responsibility for maintenance and cleaning of rations room and storage areas.
- Performs duties and special projects as assigned by the rations manager, including NOLS fieldwork if qualified.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with other NOLS departments.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT: All employees who are not working remotely and who have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Rocky Mountain, Lander, WY
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Katie Craig, NOLS Rocky Mountain Operations Supervisor.
Contact: Katie Craig with questions
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: December 6, 2021
STARTING DATE: January 2022
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.