JOB TITLE: Wilderness Risk Management Conference (WRMC) Manager
REPORTS TO: Risk Management Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Work closely with Risk Management Director and external WRMC stakeholders to plan, market, coordinate logistics for, and carry out the annual WRMC.
- The WRMC Manager must have great customer service skills; be excited to build and maintain relationships with a diverse network of individuals and organizations; and provide leadership to offer a high quality conference experience to participants.
- Event planning experience is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are essential.
- Key elements for success in this position include excellent communication skills (written and oral); the ability to manage varied tasks, and problem solve; and work effectively to meet deadlines.
- The ability to work independently and prioritize workload is crucial.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web-based applications is required.
- Preferred skills include previous experience in budget management and prior conference planning and organizing.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Provide leadership to ensure a successful conference. Participate and provide leadership as a member of the WRMC Steering Committee including long-term relationships with external partner organizations. Supervise a 4-6 month WRMC intern, as well as conference staff of work-study students and volunteers onsite at the conference. Must be comfortable with extensive and critical networking with both internal and external audiences. Establish cooperative working relationships within NOLS departments to increase understanding and support of the WRMC.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: WRMC budgetary management (approximately $300,000 annually). Makes finance-sensitive logistical decisions for the WRMC. Manages and tracks the day-to-day finances of the WRMC.
- Manage and coordinate the WRMC (including logistics, marketing, registration, customer service, and partnerships).
- Oversee site selection, negotiations, and contracting; visit site and oversee quality of service provided by conference center. Follow-through with conference center billing.
- Arrange meeting space, lodging, food and beverage, audio-visual support, etc.
- Travel to WRMC venue for the conference and for site visit.
- Oversee attendee registration and provide excellent customer service and support to attendees.
- Coordinate budget, manage and track WRMC financial transactions.
- Execute marketing efforts for the WRMC that include customer relations, email campaigns, website updates, social media, printed materials, mailings, and events.
- Assist in creating the conference agenda with the WRMC Steering Committee Chair to prepare monthly meetings with WRMC Steering Committee..
- Attend WRMC Steering Committee meetings to provide input from NOLS and planning updates.
- Create and/or maintain online tools: WRMC website, event mobile app, post-conference surveys, etc.
- Recruit, establish, and maintain relationships with WRMC exhibitors, sponsors, and partners .
- Ensure continued and expanded availability of WRMC participant support, including scholarships and academic credit.
- Maintain WRMC inventory and update as needed.
- Hire and supervise a seasonal intern, as well as work-study candidates and volunteers onsite.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK HOURS AND LOCATION: This is a three quarter-time office position, based at NOLS Headquarters in Lander, WY.
FIELD WORK: For NOLS Faculty only:
This position is eligible to be expanded to a salaried faculty position when paired with field work or other NOLS departments.
Field work is primarily out of NOLS Rocky Mountain
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to: Drew Leemon
Contact: Drew Leemon or Gabi Kilko-Jackson with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: August 31, 2021.
STARTING DATE: September 2021.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitinglink.