JOB TITLE: Southwest Peak Program Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Southwest Program Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise and mentor NOLS Southwest field faculty, ensuring program quality, and promoting student and staff satisfaction. Deliver information on course logistics, operating areas, curriculum, performance expectations, risk management practices, and the NOLS mission and vision.
This job is a seasonal position from mid-December until sometime in April.
- A passion for the NOLS mission.
- Outdoor program and staff management experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, supervisory, problem-solving and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team in a fast-paced and sometimes unpredictable environment.
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours.
- Familiarity with Google Suite. Must maintain active field faculty status.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
- Supervise and mentor field faculty.
- Form an important communication link between NOLS administration and field faculty.
- Manage challenging and complex field and in-town situations pertaining to student, parent, and staff issues or concerns.
- Advocate for field staff, and be clear and thorough when making promotion or demotion decisions.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Signature authority on the NOLS Southwest checking account. Utilize local business accounts and school credit card. Will handle petty cash and manage travel advance money, and reconciliations for faculty.
50-75% Program and Field Staff Supervision
- Supervise NOLS Southwest courses in multiple skill areas (canoeing, backpacking, rock climbing and caving).
- Act as a critical and vital link in communicating NOLS Accepted Field Practices. Promote field and in-town risk management.
- Utilize the NOLS Field Instructor Skills in evaluating instructor performance, and make recommendations for instructors' professional development.
- Review and organize all course related paperwork.
- Maintain and develop curriculum files, library and other resource materials.
- Provide faculty with clear and concise briefings, debriefings, and write timely and thorough evaluations.
- Share responsibility with the Southwest program team by carrying, answering, and facilitating conversations on the evac phone. Be involved in problem solving, brainstorming, and logistics around evacuations. Make parent/emergency contact phone calls related to student behavioral issues and/or evacuations.
- Educate instructors regarding school-wide issues.
- Participate in program supervisor meetings as work schedule allows.
- Participate in the planning of course routes and logistics schedules.
- May be required to act as fill-in instructor. Must maintain active instructor status.
25-50% Operations Support
- Assist with course logistics, outfitting, rationing, meal and vehicle preparation to contribute to excellent student service.
- Drive students to and from the field, including occasional evacuation drives.
- Share in the responsibility of maintaining safe, clean and efficient facilities.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the program manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Southwest - Tucson, Arizona
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to : Ryan WIlliams
Contact: Ryan Williams with any questions about the position.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: December 6, 2021
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.