JOB TITLE: Rocky Mountain Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Rocky Mountain Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The NOLS Rocky Mountain (RM) operations manager is an essential member of the Rocky Mountain leadership team. They work to co-create vision and help lead through uncertainty into the future. This position manages short and mid-term operational planning and coordinates the interface of operations, program and instructor needs for 1400+ students, 50,000+ student days and 125+ courses per year, with 11 months of directly serving students each year. The Operations Manager oversees at least one other Rocky Mountain location (Three Peaks Ranch, Teton Valley and/or the River Base) and they provide logistical, programmatic, evacuation and leadership support for other Rocky Mountain locations. They serve as the interface between the Rocky Mountain program team and various operations departments in support of courses
QUALIFICATIONS: Deep belief in NOLS mission and motivated to serve our students. Understanding of schoolwide philosophy and interest in NOLS Rocky Mountain operating areas for Lander, Three Peaks Ranch, Teton Valley and/or the River Base campuses. Must have supervisory experience and ability to improve, innovate, and implement systems. Must have the ability to work independently and with a variety of people on a team, to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing, and be creative, flexible and organized. Strong work ethic and attention to details are necessary.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
- Responsible for the hiring, training, and day-to-day supervision of various Rocky Mountain operation department managers.
- Direct supervision over one or more of the Rocky Mountain locations as well as potentially the Rocky Mountain Facilities Manager. Responsible for NOLS RM course logistics, route planning, and broadly communicating pertinent information and changes to a variety of stakeholders and managers.
- Oversee various field challenges, course support and evacuation decisions.
- Provide ongoing support and indirect supervision to Rocky Mountain Evacuation Supervisors.
- Work with parents, guardians and evacuated students as necessary.
- Carry the evacuation phone as needed and be part of the scheduled rotation that is back-up to the on-call phone.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for overseeing management of departmental budgets of kitchen ($200,000), rations ($500,000), outfitting ($600,000) and facilities ($188,000) departments. Oversee and manage Three Peaks Ranch ($370,000), River Base ($374,000) and/ or Teton Valley ($280,000) budgets. Signature authority on all NOLS Rocky Mountain accounts, and responsible for petty cash and credit cards.
- Lead a positive work environment that lives into NOLS’ values and mission. Serve students and staff to the best of their ability.
- Provide leadership and direct supervision for managers in the NOLS Rocky Mountain kitchen, rations, outfitting and/ or facilities departments. Help innovate systems and create and implement mid to long-term vision. Provide immediate support to these operating teams and systems related to COVID impacts while operating.
- Provide leadership and direct supervision to either the Three Peaks Ranch Manager, River Base Manager and/ or NOLS Teton Valley. These locations operate 6-10 months of the year and are essential support to all Rocky Mountain semester operations.
- Work with the NOLS Rocky Mountain assistant director on various aspects of NOLS Rocky Mountain operating logistics, including scheduling, planning, support, and development of course operations.
- Work with the NOLS Rocky Mountain program manager to schedule the program team, and evolve operational systems based on instructor team and student feedback.
- Assist the RM assistant director in the maintenance of 30+ land management permits and associated reporting.
- Coordinate and communicate upcoming course operating logistics with NOLS Rocky Mountain managers in Lander, Three Peaks Ranch, the River Base and Teton Valley campuses.
- Work with a variety of stakeholders to coordinate essential route changes that are in compliance with permitting and operating area regulations. This includes collaborating and/or communicating with program supervisors, evacuation supervisors, program manager, kitchen manager, rations manager, transportation department and others.
- Collaborate with NOLS Rocky Mountain leadership team on the overall vision and details of NOLS Rocky Mountain and four related locations.
- Assist in evolving COVID practices to meet external conditions while maintaining consistent practices on campus.
- Provide back-up support to the evacuation phone in conjunction with other members of RM leadership team.
- Other duties as assigned, including NOLS field work, if qualified and schedule and interest permit.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Lander, WY.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: All employees who are not working remotely and who do have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: This is a full time benefited position with opportunity for field and/ or classroom teaching.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: NOLS Rocky Mountain Assistant Director, Andy Blair
Phone: (307) 332-1425
Contact: Andy Blair or Jen Sall (RM Director,firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 18, 2021
STARTING DATE: Late December 2021 or early January, 2022
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitinglink.