JOB TITLE: Rocky Mountain Facilities Technician
REPORTS TO: Rocky Mountain Facilities Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Work with staff to implement department maintenance goals and building projects; provide staff and students with a safe, clean, and comfortable working and living environment.
- Previous experience with physical plant design and/ or construction.
- Basic computer skills with an understanding of Google and Excel.
- A working knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems.
- Ability to interact comfortably with a variety of people.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs. repeatedly.
- Perform physical work under a variety of conditions indoors and outdoors, and climb/work from a ladder.
- Operate a variety of electric shop and landscaping equipment.
- Motivated to acquire additional knowledge and skills necessary to function independently.
- Applicants must be able to work without direct supervision, and make initial decisions in emergency situations.
- Must meet NOLS driving requirements and maintain a current MVR.
- Able to travel to NOLS locations in Vernal, UT and Boulder, WY as necessary.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Must be able to assume responsibility for special projects and temporary employees, as assigned by the NOLS Rocky Mountain facilities manager. May contribute to facility management decisions.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Employee is expected to understand the scope of the plant budget and demonstrate good judgment when buying materials, tools, and equipment, or when costing out projects.
- Perform preventative and remedial maintenance, service checks, and safety inspections, as outlined in the plant/facilities operations calendar.
- Assist with planning and implementation of special projects at all NOLS Rocky Mountain locations and at the NOLS World Headquarters building. Proactively plan for safety and security concerns. Seasonal duties to include snow removal, lawn maintenance, and landscaping.
- Keep all plant/facilities working and storage areas clean and orderly. Monitor recycling and make recycling trips, as necessary.
- Perform other tasks or duties as requested by department supervisors, including NOLS field or classroom work, if qualified.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Applicants must be able to drive a manual shift vehicle. Applicants must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Lander, WY.
EMPLOYMENT DETAILS: This is either a ¾ time or full-time benefited position with the potential for NOLS field or classroom teaching.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Dave Smithson, Rocky Mountain Facilities Manager.
Phone: (307) 335-2350
Contact Dave Smithson with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: July or August, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.