JOB TITLE: NOLS Rocky Mountain Assistant Kitchen Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Rocky Mountain Kitchen Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise and/or assist in the production of nutritious, delicious meals that prioritize local and environmentally conscious ingredients when possible and practical within the kitchen budget. Promote a friendly, inclusive, and welcoming culture within the kitchen and dining room. Maintain a clean workspace (kitchen, pantry, walk-in refrigerator and freezers) that prioritizes ServSafe health standards, consolidation, clear dating and labeling, and a FIFO (first in, first out) mindset. Assist with ordering food, shopping for in-town items, planning menus, scheduling, and doing computer work as needed.
- Experience, education, and/ or interest in food service and kitchen management, especially for large groups and for people with dietary restrictions/preferences (i.e. gluten-free, vegan, nut allergies, etc.).
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team in meal planning and preparation of meals.
- Attention to detail, especially in regard to dietary requirements/restrictions.
- Flexible mindset, creativity, and positive attitude
- Supervisory and communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate needs and receive/provide thoughtful, timely feedback.
- Excitement for work that has a fluctuating schedule. Ability to work flexible and irregular hours including occasional early mornings, evenings, and weekends, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week.
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs, working while standing for extended periods of time, ability to work in fluctuating outdoor conditions (e.g. hot summer days while cooking on a grill).
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise part-time assistants and seasonal assistants. May be required to operate independently in the planning and preparing of meals while keeping in mind scheduling complexities and dietary restrictions in the kitchen managers absence. Ensure compliance with health codes.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Maintain inventory control of food purchasing while tracking costs. Keep track of receipts from all purchases.
- Supervise and/or assist with meal production.
- Clean and maintain all work areas.
- Observe all health department regulations.
- Work as a shift cook in the schedule.
- Purchase and inventory food supplies.
- Train part-time and seasonal employees with clarity, sensitivity and high standards.
- Comply with evolving COVID-19 practices for NOLS in-town staff.
- Other duties as assigned, including schedule and interest permit and NOLS field work, if qualified.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy: All employees that work at NOLS facilities and who have regular contact with other employees and or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees. Employees that work remotely and do not have contact with other employees and or students are not required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION & CONDITIONS: NOLS Rocky Mountain, Lander, WY. This is a full-time benefited position. Housing is not provided.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to: Katie Craig, NOLS Rocky Mountain Operations Manager.
Contact Katie Craig with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 18, 2022.
STARTING DATE: early March, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.