JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The operations manager is a principal member of the Pacific Northwest management team and oversees all aspects of operations including outdoor gear services, food services, facilities/vehicles, financial systems, and information technology systems. The operations manager also offers logistical support and operations consultation to NOLS India, NOLS Yukon, and NOLS Scandinavia staff.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of the NOLS mission, curriculum, and operations. Previous management experience, including budget management. Must be able to work successfully with a variety of people, including students, staff, parents, service contractors, and the general public. Excellent oral and written communication skills, the ability to work independently, and a willingness to work flexible and irregular hours.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Hire, train, and supervise operations staff. Provide campus-wide leadership. Develop and execute vision and strategic goals for operations departments. Work in coordination with the assistant director to ensure a high level of student service.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: This position has signature authority on NOLS Pacific Northwest U.S. and Canadian checking accounts, access to petty cash, manages monthly accounting systems and reports, and is authorized to sign requisitions, payroll reports, and employment agreements. Is responsible for the management and accounting of the seasonal staff payroll budget, outdoor equipment expense and revenue budgets, expedition food budget, kitchen budget, vehicle and plant maintenance budgets, and selected campus asset budgets as they relate to equipment and facilities.
- Hire, train, and supervise the outfitting manager. Collaborate to monitor inventory levels, and select and order equipment while considering long-range planning. Assist with issue and de-issue of students and instructors when necessary. Manage POSIM (Point of Sales Inventory Management) database.
- Diversify and grow non-tuition revenue streams including outdoor gear rental/merchandise sales.
- Hire, train, and supervise the food services managers. Work with wholesalers on pricing and item availability. Maintain food sanitation standards in accordance with county regulations.
- Hire, train, and supervise campus facilities and vehicle fleet manager. Manage small- and large-scale construction projects including oversight of buildings, grounds, and equipment.
- Maintain accurate business accounting records through reconciling campus credit and gas card receipts, cash advances, and overseeing Quicken bookkeeping system for both US and Canadian accounts.
- Maintain safety and regular servicing of NOLS’ fleet of vehicles in accordance with NOLS policies; administer defensive driving curriculum as necessary.
- Oversee carbon tracking and environmental sustainability initiatives for NOLS Pacific Northwest.
- Build and manage operations expenses, revenue, and selected asset budgets.
- Prepare seasonal reports related to NOLS Pacific Northwest performance.
- Share evacuation coordinator duties and manage evacuations as needed.
- Work with student discipline and separations including intervention and family contact.
- Perform other duties and projects, as assigned by the Pacific Northwest director.
- Serve as the acting director of NOLS Pacific Northwest during director or assistant director absence.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Pacific Northwest - 20950 Bulson Rd. Mt. Vernon, WA. This is a full time, benefited position.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and résumé to Craig Lenske, NOLS Pacific Northwest Director.
Contact Craig Lenske with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 11, 2018
STARTING DATE: May 7, 2018
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.