JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Kitchen Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide healthy meal service to students and staff. Further NOLS’ sustainability initiatives through local sourcing of food.
- Experience planning and cooking for large groups.
- Able to work in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Self-motivated to be able to work independently when needed.
- A team player who can work collaboratively with others and works with the best interests of the team in mind.
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week.
- Must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Report check.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly supervise one PNW summer kitchen assistant.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage kitchen ($39,000) and staff food ($10,000) budget. Responsible for disbursement of funds to pay for kitchen-related expenses.
- Ordering, menu planning, food sourcing, and weekly shopping.
- Train and supervise kitchen assistant.
- Provide timely and growth-oriented feedback to supervisees and co-workers.
- Financial management of kitchen budget.
- Perform monthly credit card reports.
- Prepare meals—sittings range from 20-120 people.
- Manage food for the staff kitchen.
- Manage a variety of allergies and dietary restrictions by communicating with students and staff. Proactively manage cross contamination during food preparation.
- Maintain a high standard of sanitation and organization to meet the standards of the Skagit Valley Health Department.
- Perform transportation tasks to support operational logistics and other duties as assigned.
- Perform other logistical and operational tasks as requested by the operations manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required for all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Mount Vernon, Washington. On-campus housing and food staples provided for a small fee, if desired.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Paul Satzinger, NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager.
Phone: (360) 445-6657 ext. 3221
Contact Paul Satzinger with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 7, 2019.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: Seven-month position from March 18, 2019 through mid-October.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.