JOB TITLE: Northeast Program Manager
REPORTS TO: Rocky Mountain Program Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee all aspects of NOLS Northeast operations in accord with the NOLS vision and strategic goals. Work to ensure program quality and promote student and staff satisfaction. Acts as NOLS’ representative in all aspects of operating in the Northeast from land management and community relationships to program supervision and course operational support.
QUALIFICATIONS: A thorough understanding of NOLS’ philosophy, mission and values is essential. A belief in the power of a NOLS student experience. Excellent oral and written communication skills, self-motivation, problem-solving and team-building skills, and dedication are required. Able to work independently and lead under stress. Able to work closely with others, while managing positive public relations across broad audiences. Interest in working in a collaborative fashion with others is important. Supervision experience is preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Develop and execute vision and strategic goals. Oversee all aspects of Northeast operations. Hires, trains, supervises and creates structure to develop a career path for staff. Responsible for the oversight of 4,200+ student days and 260+ students in a growing program.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for the annual budget consisting of approximately $570,000 in revenue and $260,000 in expenses. Responsible for all NOLS Northeast assets and inventories. This position will have signature authority on all relevant accounts, oversee petty cash and be responsible for accounting.
- Plan operational activities including staff structure, logistics, program scheduling, content and curriculum, course mix, long-term budgets, and other operational goals.
- Hire, train, supervise, develop, and evaluate staff. Create an inclusive and welcoming environment.
- Actualize the opportunity for a rewarding experience for students by providing accurate information, outstanding student service, a welcoming atmosphere, quality program, and incorporation of student feedback.
- Assure high quality supervision through effective training, accurate briefings and debriefings, honest growth-oriented evaluations, and responsiveness to feedback.
- Risk management oversight, including field safety reports and evacuation supervision (and prevention thereof).
- Work with student discipline and separations including intervention and family contact.
- Public policy oversight, including research of all route areas and obtaining and maintaining necessary permits.
- Plan and supervise acquisition, maintenance, and safety of campus, vehicles, equipment and supplies.
- Strive to make NOLS Northeast a dynamic and fulfilling place to work.
- Assure compliance with NY laws and business procedures.
- Act as the NOLS representative to the public, including the local community, alumni, parents, government officials, and other business contacts.
- Develop NOLS’ position as a valued and respected member of local communities through providing access to NOLS’ education, and participating in local conversations on education, leadership, and conservation.
- Act to protect and advance our wilderness classroom access.
- Build and maintain relations with other NOLS departments, locations, and world headquarters.
- Create growth opportunities for NOLS Northeast program.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Gabriels, New York for the operating season. Location is flexible for the remainder of the year.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Jen Sall
Contact Jen Sall with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 28, 2018.
START DATE: January 2019. Start date flexible.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.