JOB TITLE: NOLS Yukon Operations Supervisor
REPORTS TO: NOLS Yukon Program Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Manage all aspects of outdoor education operations including food services, equipment, transportation, information technology systems and facilities maintenance. Work closely with the program manager to coordinate efficient logistics and supervise operational staff.
- Experience supervising others.
- Strong organizational, problem solving and communication skills.
- A thorough understanding of the logistics required to support wilderness expeditions.
- Experience working with outdoor equipment and expedition food planning.
- Experience driving large passenger vehicles.
- Must be able to work independently, and flexible and sometimes irregular work hours.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, or possess a travel/holiday visa or work permit enabling legal employment in Canada.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise equipment and food services
coordinators. Evaluate staff performance, give feedback and coach career development.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Supervise operational budgets upwards of $65,000 in expenses, as well as equipment revenues of approx. $60,000. Will have access to ~$300 petty cash, and a NOLS credit card.
- Supervise food and equipment coordinators in overseeing their departments and supporting courses. Manage operational staff work-hours, budgets and personal development.
- Facilitate staff/team meetings and ensure effective communication and smooth operations between departments.
- Assist program supervisor and faculty with course route and logistics planning.
- Plan course transportation logistics and oversee vehicle maintenance.
- Drive students and staff to their course areas.
- Share evacuation coordinator duties by carrying a 24-hour emergency phone at times during operating season. Support students/staff in all aspects of evacuations.
- Work in conjunction with the program manager to oversee facility maintenance, including monitoring inventory of kitchen food and supplies.
- Perform other duties and projects, as assigned by Yukon program manager.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage. License to drive 24-passenger vehicles in Canada also required.
WORK LOCATION: Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to: Briana Mackay, NOLS Yukon Program Manager
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 18, 2018
STARTING DATE: May 14, 2018. End date approximately September 7, 2018
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional,
anonymous information by visiting this link.