JOB TITLE: NOLS Yukon Expedition Rations Coordinator
REPORTS TO: NOLS Yukon Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: To oversee provision of food to participants of extended wilderness expeditions. To maintain and track an adequate inventory of food for all NOLS Yukon courses. To aid in educating participants (students on our courses, as well as staff) on basic nutrition, meal planning, and the NOLS bulk rationing system.
QUALIFICATIONS: An approachable demeanor with excellent customer service. Experience planning for wilderness expeditions, cooking, and knowledge of nutrition are all valued assets. Comfortable engaging and educating others. Ability to work flexible hours is required, including some weekends and holidays. Must have the desire to live and work in a small community. Applicant must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, or possess a travel/holiday visa or work permit enabling legal employment in Canada.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise all aspects of providing food to NOLS Yukon courses, ensuring food meets dietary restriction parameters. Must oversee a clean and organized work space that meets all food-safe requirements.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage, in conjunction with the program manager, a food budget of around $16,500.
60% - Rations
- Assist with making food orders with various vendors, as well as shop locally for food items required for all NOLS Yukon courses.
- Plan accommodations for specific student/staff food requirements (eg. food allergies, gluten-free diets, etc.).
- Supervise students in packing all food for their courses.
- Educate staff and students on basic aspects of nutrition and NOLS ration food management.
- Oversee the distribution of food on courses, including ensuring re-supplies of food on set dates throughout some courses.
- Participate as an active member of the NOLS Yukon team, including maintaining a clean, safe work environment and other operational duties as assigned.
- Use Google and Microsoft Office Suites to support and accomplish work tasks.
20% - Equipment
- Manage issue and de-issue of group and personal gear for staff and students, including student and staff billing.
- Responsible for keeping gear in good working order through in-house and contracted repairs, including overseeing course laundry.
- Brief instructors on equipment available for their courses; work with instructors to outfit courses within budget parameters.
- Organize and track equipment issue paperwork, including course sales summaries.
20% - Driving
- Drive students and staff to their course dropoff and pickups.
- Support other course transport tasks, as needed.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Julia McGoey, NOLS Yukon Program Manager.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 31, 2020.
STARTING DATE: May 25, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.