JOB TITLE: NOLS Wilderness Medicine Business Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Wilderness Medicine Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The NOLS Wilderness Medicine Business Operations Manager (BOM) works closely with the NOLS Wilderness Medicine director to enact current year course plans and continue to seed the market for future growth. The BOM oversees the NOLS Wilderness Medicine student experience by supervising several departments within NOLS Wilderness Medicine.
QUALIFICATIONS: The BOM must have exceptional communication, organizational, managerial, supervisory, and facilitation skills. This position requires the candidate to develop an intimate knowledge of the NOLS Wilderness Medicine mission, curriculum, brand, and operations. The BOM must be a versatile manager capable of moving from one unrelated topic to another with fluency.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in business operations.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in building budgets.
- Minimum of 3-5 years supervisory experience.
- Inbound and outbound customer service experience is preferred.
- Above average fluency with technology.
- Ability to think both creatively and critically.
- Ability to think systematically while carefully managing a large amount of detail.
- Experience balancing numerous competing priorities.
- Initiative, judgment, and excellent decision-making abilities.
- Experience in negotiation of financial and legal contracts.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: The BOM is a part of the NOLS Wilderness Medicine management team and works with the other members in the strategic creation and implementation of departmental mission. The BOM works on school-wide work groups and committees representing departmental viewpoints and considering school priorities. The BOM is responsible for all hiring, training, and supervision of the sponsor coordinator, partner liaison, equipment and materials Manager, and finance manager. The BOM will operate with a high level of strategic planning and consistently seek out innovation and efficiencies within current business systems.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: The BOM is responsible for building and overseeing expense budgets totaling approximately $1.4 million. Additionally, this position directly supervises all money in and out of revenue accounts, $7.5 million, and contra expense accounts ($500k). The BOM supervises gear and material operations involving $1 million of gear inventory in over 100 gear sets that are located worldwide. The BOM has signature authority over all Wilderness Medicine account lines.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The BOM is responsible for the development, management, and facilitation of all course-related operations of the NOLS Wilderness Medicine. The position is tasked with perpetual refinement of our business systems in order to provide the best service to our students through the most efficient and cost-effective systems. The BOM is the chief contract negotiator for most Wilderness Medicine courses and collaborates to develop Master Services agreements for NOLS' larger vendors. The BOM is a signer for legal contract negotiations and is responsible for NOLS’ compliance with those contracts.
Specific Areas of Responsibility include:
30% - Financial
- Supervise the NOLS Wilderness Medicine finance manager.
- Work with the NOLS Wilderness Medicine finance manager and developer to ensure accurate financial reporting is delivered from the NOLS Wilderness Medicine database.
- Negotiate purchasing contracts for NOLS that capitalize on our purchasing power to achieve the maximum levels of discount.
35% - Sponsor Relations
- Directs the NOLS Wilderness Medicine program team.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with over 400 active NOLS Wilderness Medicine sponsors who host courses for 24,000+ students annually.
- Generate and oversee communication of sponsor and course-related policies.
- Manage sponsor interactions that exceed the scope of standard policies managed by the NOLS Wilderness Medicine sponsor coordinator.
- Manage and negotiate contracts from sponsoring organizations, including colleges, universities, governmental agencies, etc.
- Ensure that permits for NOLS Wilderness Medicine courses operating on public lands are maintained and abided by.
25% - Operations
- Supervise the NOLS Wilderness Medicine equipment manager.
- Ensure that systems for equipment purchasing, maintenance, and delivery are being used to a high level of efficiency.
10% - Schoolwide Responsibilities
- Collaborate on schoolwide workgroups and committees working on NOLS strategic goals.
- Represent departmental goals in various settings where schoolwide decisions are being made.
- Act as alumni liaison between Wilderness Medicine alumni and the NOLS Alumni department.
Duties and responsibilities may change at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Melissa Gray.
Email email@example.com with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: May 13, 2019.
STARTING DATE: June 17, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.