JOB TITLE: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Program Supervisor
REPORTS TO: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise NOLS faculty, ensuring program quality to promote student and faculty excellence. Support faculty in delivering exceptional student experiences. Work with ranch manager and assistant manager to facilitate strong functioning of NOLS Three Peaks Ranch. Pack food and equipment into remote areas, as schedule permits. Perform and/or oversee ranch-related projects.
- A passion for the NOLS mission.
- Outdoor program experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and strong organizational, supervisory, facilitation, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must maintain active field faculty status.
- Desire to learn, live, and work in a small community, and contribute to a positive environment.
- Must be able to accommodate an ever-changing work schedule, which may include working weekends, 13-hour days, and 60+ hour weeks.
- Must be able to perform physical labor and lift 80 lb. panniers onto the back of a horse with assistance.
- Experience in, or willingness to learn some of the following skills: horsemanship, vetting, shoeing, hauling livestock, pasture maintenance, construction, and vehicle maintenance skills.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise and mentor field faculty. Work closely with Rocky Mountain program team to ensure consistency and quality within programs. Supervise and mentor ranch staff. Supervise others on re-supply trips and around Three Peaks.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for petty cash, credit cards, and accounts as necessary. Responsible for the safe transportation of livestock, equipment, and people.
- Facilitate growth-oriented briefings and debriefings.
- Ensure faculty understand NOLS accepted field practices.
- Apply NOLS instructor qualifications and performance expectations in evaluating faculty performance.
- Write staff performance evaluations.
- Organize and review all course-related paperwork.
- Develop curriculum resources and maintain curriculum files, resources, and library.
- Network to support schoolwide programs and initiatives. Participate in program supervisor meetings.
- Share evacuation coordinator duties by carrying a 24-hour emergency phone during operating season.
- Facilitate communication with students, family members, and staff in complex and critical situations.
- Work with ranch manager to plan course routes and logistics.
- Assist with operations, including facilities upkeep, course logistics, outfitting, and vehicle pre-trip inspections, loading, and transporting people and stock as necessary to maintain excellent student service.
- Maintain and develop positive relations with local businesses and community.
- Prepare and conduct re-supply trips.
- Assist with, or oversee, various aspect of ranch operations—irrigation, horsemanship, horse care, gear maintenance, course outfitting, facilities maintenance, etc.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Three Peaks Ranch, Boulder, Wyoming—NOLS Rocky Mountain. Private housing and food is provided on-site, throughout employment, for a small fee. Kitchen and living areas are communal.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Kelsey Wicks, NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager.
Contact Kelsey Wicks with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 14, 2019.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: This is a 3- to 4.5-month position starting in May or June, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.