JOB TITLE: NOLS Teton Valley Transportation and Facilities Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Teton Valley Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee campus maintenance and course transportation, including a fleet of vehicles. Safely drive courses to and from the field; coordinate vehicle maintenance and cleaning; perform light maintenance as needed on vehicles.
- Excellent/clean driving record.
- Must be willing to get Defensive Driving certification.
- "Stop-and-fix" attitude, eye for details, and ability to re-prioritize based on the program or courses’ needs.
- Some experience with carpentry, building maintenance, home improvement skills, and the ability to use power tools safely.
- Basic understanding of vehicles and their maintenance.
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills. Ability to manage variety of ongoing tasks, oversee projects, and deal with unforeseen logistical challenges.
- Ability to motivate self, work unsupervised, and supervise others. Seek input from supervisor when appropriate.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise employees and student volunteers for specific projects. Supervise all drivers for NOLS Teton Valley in appropriate driving habits and techniques, including training others in defensive driving.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for managing $10,000 vehicle maintenance budget for fleet of ten vehicles and three trailers and maintaining grounds on a 15-acre campus with multiple buildings. Will use NOLS credit cards and petty cash for spending within budget parameters.
40% - Plant and Vehicle Maintenance
- Manage fleet, track budget, and record service and maintenance.
- Orient and train new drivers.
- Schedule vehicle use in coordination with program team.
- Periodic heavy lifting including, among other things: tires, tire chains, vehicle seats; ration boxes and duffels (25-125 lbs.), fuel cases (36 lbs.), backpacks (50-100 lbs.).
- Maintain physical plants, and perform maintenance and repairs on buildings and landscape.
50% - Driving and Logistical Support
- Drive trucks, vans, and trailers throughout Teton Valley operating areas. Drive courses to roadheads, drive in grocery drops, and share evacuation driver duty. In some cases, these runs involve full days behind the wheel.
10% - Other
- Help out where needed most in supporting field courses.
- Projects as assigned by the assistant director.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Teton Valley, located in Driggs, Idaho, at the foot of the western side of the Teton Range (40 minutes from Jackson Hole, WY). Limited housing with subsidized rent is offered for this position; staff members are not required to live on-property.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Patrick Solomon.
Contact Patrick Solomon with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: March 29, 2019. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
STARTING DATE: Early May, 2019. This is a full-time, ten-month per year position. Primary operating seasons are summer (May - August) and winter (December - March) with flexible shoulder seasons.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.