JOB TITLE: NOLS Rocky Mountain Rations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Rocky Mountain Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise and execute all aspects of NOLS Rocky Mountain bulk food rationing system. This includes the planning, ordering, and packaging of food (rations) for backcountry expeditions. Facilitate nutrition education for students and staff. Educate and assist staff, students, and the public with rations and food purchases. Create a welcoming and inclusive work environment.
- Desire to work, teach, and interact with NOLS students and instructors.
- Desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills, and be detail oriented.
- Must be self-motivated to work independently when needed.
- Must be a team player who can work collaboratively with others, and work with the best interests of the team in mind.
- Familiarity working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Suite.
- Able to work flexible and irregular hours, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week, with some early summer mornings and weekends throughout the year.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Experience working with bulk food planning and nutrition is helpful.
- NOLS field experience is preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and supervising two full-time assistants, and up to six seasonal summer employees.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage a budget of approximately $500,000. Work with Rocky Mountain Director to plan and acquire all short- and long-term assets for the rations department.
- Create a welcoming, low-stress environment.
- Brief instructors on the course rationing process; plan appropriately for course type and duration.
- Supervise instructors and students throughout course preparation process on course start and end days.
- Supervise the Rations department in a thriving workplace.
- Plan for and pack course resupplies.
- Clean, organize, and maintain the rations department and pertinent storage areas.
- Monitor inventory and manage budget, including sales revenues.
- Establish accounts with vendors and place timely and cost-efficient orders in combination with the rations department assistant manager.
- Assist students and instructors who have food intolerances or allergies.
- Complete purchasing requisitions in coordination with NOLS World Headquarters Finance department and the Rations department assistant manager.
- Assist in training operations assistants and fellows.
- Maintain a clean, orderly, and sanitary department; adhere to proper sanitation and county health codes.
- Teach nutrition basics to students.
- Facilitate the sale of food to the public, private groups, students, and instructors.
- Oversee and participate in special projects, such as nutritional studies on rations and/ or contribute to articles written about NOLS bulk food systems.
- Be a resource for all NOLS program directors, rations managers from other locations, instructors, students, alumni, and the public.
- Increase the presence and role of the Rations department in the Lander community.
- Work in the field and/ or classroom for NOLS if desired.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: Lander, WY.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: This is a full-time benefited position with opportunity for field or classroom teaching.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Andy Blair, NOLS Rocky Mountain Assistant Director.
Contact Andy Blair with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: August 1, 2019.
STARTING DATE: Early September, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.