JOB TITLE: NOLS Rocky Mountain Kitchen Assistant Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Rocky Mountain Kitchen Manager and/or Rocky Mountain Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise and/or assist in the production of nutritious, delicious meals that prioritizes local and environmentally conscious ingredients when possible and practical within the kitchen budget. Promote a friendly, inclusive, and welcoming culture within the kitchen and dining room. Maintain a clean workspace (kitchen, pantry, walk-in refrigerator, and freezers) that prioritizes ServSafe health standards, consolidation, clear dating and labeling, and a FIFO mindset. Help with ordering food, shopping for in-town items, planning menus, scheduling, and doing computer work as needed.
- Experience, education, and/ or interest in food service and kitchen management, especially for large groups and for people with dietary restrictions/preferences (i.e. gluten-free, vegan, nut allergies, etc.).
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to work independently in the preparations of meals.
- Flexible mindset, creativity, positive attitude, and sense of humor.
- Supervisory and communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate needs and receive/provide thoughtful, timely feedback.
- Flexible hours maintained; the schedule includes many early mornings and weekend work throughout the calendar year.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise part-time assistants and seasonal assistants. Operate independently from the kitchen manager up to 50% of the time in the planning and preparing of meals. Ensure compliance with health codes.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Maintain inventory control of food purchasing while tracking costs.
- Supervise and/or assist meal and road food production.
- Clean and maintain all work areas.
- Observe all health department regulations.
- Work as a shift cook in the schedule.
- Purchase and inventory food supplies.
- Train part-time employees with clarity, sensitivity, and high standards.
- Execute special projects requested by the NOLS Rocky Mountain director or kitchen manager, including NOLS field work, if qualified.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for nols vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Rocky Mountain, Lander, WY. Full-time, salaried position.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Andy Blair, NOLS Rocky Mountain Assistant Director.
Contact Andy Blair with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 24, 2020.
STARTING DATE: March 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.