JOB TITLE: NOLS Rocky Mountain Horsepacker
REPORTS TO: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Pack food and equipment into remote areas. Perform and/or oversee ranch-related projects and tasks. Support courses at Three Peaks Ranch and in the field. Be a resource to instructors, students, and visitors.
- A strong work ethic, communication skills, and self-motivation.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to perform physical labor and lift 80 lb. panniers onto the back of a horse with assistance.
- Desire to learn, live, and work in a small community, and contribute to a positive environment.
- Must be able to accommodate an ever-changing work schedule, which may include working weekends, 13-hour days, and 60+ hour weeks.
- Must be willing to learn and then execute ranch operations and packing procedures.
- Experience in some of the following skills is prefered: horsemanship, vetting, shoeing, hauling livestock, pasture maintenance, construction, and/ or vehicle maintenance skills.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: May supervise others on re-supply trips and at Three Peaks. May have oversight of specific ranch tasks and the staff needed to complete the task.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for petty cash, credit cards, and accounts as necessary. Responsible for the safe transportation of livestock, equipment, and people to and from re-supply and course locations.
- Prepare and conduct re-supply trips in remote mountain settings.
- Assist with, or oversee, various aspect of ranch operations—irrigation, horsemanship, horse care, gear maintenance, course outfitting, facilities maintenance, etc.
- Assist with vehicle inspections, loading, and transporting people and stock.
- Work with NOLS horses, as directed.
- Support operational logistics and transportation tasks, as needed.
- Maintain communication and work closely and effectively in a team setting with others.
- Maintain and develop positive relations with local businesses and community.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Three Peaks Ranch, Boulder, Wyoming—NOLS Rocky Mountain. Private housing and food is provided on-site, throughout employment, for a small fee. Kitchen and living areas are communal.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Kelsey Wicks, NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager.
Contact Kelsey Wicks with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 14, 2019.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: This is a 3- to 4.5-month position starting in May or June, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.