JOB TITLE: NOLS River Base Transportation Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS River Base Assistant Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Maintain vehicle fleet and train driving staff to provide reliable transportation. Oversee the flow and logistics of vehicle use as it pertains to course needs for drop-offs, pick-ups and re-rations. Assist in facilities upkeep and daily operations of River Base.
- Possess the skills to organize and lead others.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent communication skills; clearly and concisely present logistical plans to other managers and also to assistants.
- Willingness to adapt to changing plans and participate in dynamic decision-making.
- Must have a desire to interact with students and work in a small community.
- Affinity to work independently with high attention to detail.
- Communicate clearly and build positive working relationships with others.
- Work flexible hours, including some weekends and holidays.
- Curiosity about basic vehicle maintenance and mechanics and ability to learn these skills.
- Must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Report check.
- Excellent driving skills.
- Class B CDL with passenger endorsement preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Plan vehicle use. Brief staff on river put-in/take-out locations, and oversee loading/unloading practices. Offer and receive timely feedback.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for managing a fleet of six + vehicles and six trailers. Independently keep records on vehicle maintenance. Manage direct purchases utilizing a company Visa card.
- Coordinate vehicle + trailer use and maintenance for River Base operations and as part of the larger Rocky Mountain team.
- Coordinate with multiple shuttle companies to plan and implement shuttles.
- Maintain and continually update communication systems (email, calendars, logistics sheets) to keep operations and program staff informed of transportation plans.
- Perform vehicle maintenance and repair as skills allow.
- Drive students and equipment.
- Supervise Defensive Driver training for staff.
- Maintain a flexible and supportive atmosphere.
- Maintain a willingness to step into different roles, take on additional tasks as requested by the Manager or Assistant Manager.
- Perform facilities maintenance as skills and schedule allow.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage. Funding and training to obtain a commercial driver’s license may be available.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: All employees that work at NOLS facilities and who have regular contact with other employees and or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees. Employees that work remotely and do not have contact with other employees and or students are not required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption.Work Location and Conditions: NOLS River Base - Vernal, UT. Operating season is from mid-February to late November. On campus housing available for a small fee. Kitchen and common space shared amongst staff.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: Vernal, UT. This is a full-time, seasonal position. Housing is provided with food when associated with course meals.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to: Teresa Miller, NOLS River Base Manager
Contact: Teresa Miller with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: December 23, 2021
STARTING DATE: Late February 2022, period of employment, 6-9 months
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitingthis link.