JOB TITLE: NOLS Patagonia Program Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Patagonia Program Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Patagonia program manager will work with the Patagonia director and the Patagonia operations manager to provide administrative oversight for NOLS Patagonia. The program manager provides leadership for the Patagonia program department and Patagonia program supervisors to ensure excellent course outcomes for every student and high-quality work experiences for faculty.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Patagonia program manager must possess a thorough knowledge of NOLS’ mission, educational philosophy, and field course management. This position requires previous supervisory experience. Facilitation skills are vital. The Patagonia program manager needs excellent verbal communications in English and Spanish, and be able to write well in English. Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule, working some long days, weekends and holidays. Course leader experience in sea kayaking or mountaineering at NOLS Patagonia preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: This position holds primary responsibility for NOLS Patagonia program team. The Patagonia program manager recruits, hires, trains and supervises all Patagonia program supervisors. Serves as acting director in program director's absence.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for cash accounting for private services, course logistics, and course emergency money. Manages the program team payroll budget. May have signature authority on all banking and petty cash accounts.
75% - Program Department Supervision
- Oversight of the NOLS Patagonia program department including briefing and debriefing content, curriculum updates, team-building initiatives, instructor development, route planning, and risk management for land- and ocean-based courses.
- Train and supervise Patagonia program supervisors. (Program supervisor numbers fluctuate from two to six people throughout the season.)
- Serve as program supervisor for both land- and ocean-based courses.
- Develop and maintain organizational systems that support the immediate needs of the program department, NOLS Patagonia vision, implementation of school-wide student outcomes, and faculty performance management.
- Ensure Patagonia programs are implementing current school policies, Education Department initiatives, risk management priorities, and NOLS accepted field practices.
- Actively guide staff in their development at NOLS, including recommending trainings, course work, and personal development. This person may be called upon to provide career/annual talks with field staff.
- Work with the Education, Field Staffing, Risk Management, Admissions, Custom Education, locations, and other departments at the school to enhance service to students and staff.
- Serve as the location’s primary contact point with field staffing office to coordinate Patagonia’s staffing design.
- Read, critique, and place into review all instructor performance evaluations in a timely fashion based on NOLS instructor qualifications and performance expectations.
25% - Patagonia Leadership Team Participation
- Assist Patagonia program director with overall supervision of NOLS Patagonia including program vision and strategies for growth in alignment with school-wide Strategic Plans and emerging priorities.
- Represent NOLS Patagonia to external audiences.
- Develop and maintain strong positive relationships with the Chilean community.
- Other duties and projects as assigned by NOLS Patagonia director.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: The NOLS facility (Campo Las Vertientes) is a 437-acre property located 11 kilometers outside of Coyhaique, Chile.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Raúl Castro, NOLS Patagonia Director
Please contact Raúl Castro with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 30, 2018
STARTING DATE: August 15, 2018 (Ideally would be able to travel to Lander, WY for Field Faculty Summit and program supervisor meetings May 14-18).
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.