JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Seasonal Program Supervisor
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Work with NOLS Pacific Northwest program and operations teams to ensure high-quality educational experiences for students and faculty. Must be willing to work in both program and operations roles to ensure excellent student service. Supervise field faculty in curriculum, route planning, and risk management. Evaluate performance and recommend appropriate work level for field faculty.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicant must possess a thorough understanding of the NOLS mission. Current NOLS instructor certification is required.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise faculty in the areas of course logistics, curriculum, risk management, performance expectations, and administration. Facilitate communication between NOLS administration and faculty.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Coordinate disbursement of funds to pay for NOLS Pacific Northwest course expenses. The position will have access to a NOLS credit card, petty cash, and gas cards.
- Supervise NOLS Custom Education and Expedition courses at NOLS Pacific Northwest.
- Review and organize all course-related paperwork, including course leader folders and pre-course information for students and staff. Maintain curriculum files, library, and other resource materials.
- Provide faculty with clear and concise briefings, debriefings, and timely evaluations. Actively guide staff in professional development at NOLS.
- Debrief students and manage end-of-course logistics.
- Facilitate challenging situations, including student or staff behavioral issues or performance concerns, injuries, illnesses, and evacuations. Communication with parents and family members is necessary.
- Coordinate with NOLS World Headquarters and NOLS Custom Education to ensure that course administrative tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Share the “evacuation coordinator” duties with other NOLS PNW managers. This may include carrying the rotating 24-hour emergency phone and managing evacuees in town.
- Regularly assist with course logistics, faculty housing allocation, transportation, facility cleaning, outfitting, and vehicle preparation; occasionally assist with course rationing, meal preparation, and maintenance as necessary to maintain excellent student service.
- May be required to act as a fill-in field instructor due to injury/illness and possible unavailability of field staff. Must maintain active instructor status.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Mount Vernon, WA. On-campus housing and food staples provided for a small fee, if desired.
HOW TO APPLY: Elsie Freland, NOLS PNW Assistant Director.
Phone: 360-445-6657 x3245
Please email Elsie with any questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 2, 2021.
START DATE: This position starts mid-late August and runs through mid-December. There are opportunities for field work during this time.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.