JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Rations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide excellent service to students and staff through oversight and supervision of all aspects of the Rations Room including managing the planning, ordering, and packaging of food (rations) for backcountry expeditions, as well as facilitating nutrition education for students and staff.
- Desire to work, teach, and interact with NOLS students and instructors.
- Must be willing to learn about food sourcing, nutrition, backcountry rations.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills needed.
- Must be self-motivated to be able to work independently when needed.
- Must be able to work flexible and irregular hours, including weekends with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week.
- Must be a team player who can work collaboratively with others and works with the best interests of the team in mind.
- Must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Report check.
- Familiarity with Google Suite is desirable.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly supervise one assistant, as well as train other staff to assist with Rations Room duties as needed. Provide NOLS Field Instructors and students with instruction and expectations for the rationing process.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage Rations Room budget (approximately $60,000). Responsible for disbursement of funds to pay for food related expenses.
- Brief instructors on the course rationing process; plan appropriately for course type and duration.
- Supervise instructors and students throughout course preparation process on course start and end days.
- Manage course resupplies.
- Keep all sections of the Rations Room clean and organized; adhere to proper sanitation and county health codes.
- Monitor inventory and order food in a timely manner.
- Maintain accounts with vendors.
- Complete purchasing requisitions in coordination with NOLS World Headquarters finance department.
- Train and supervise food service and finance assistant.
- Assist in training other staff to assist in the Rations Room.
- Teach nutrition classes to students.
- Facilitate the sale of food to private groups, students, and instructors.
- Perform transportation tasks to support operational logistics and other duties as assigned.
- Perform other logistical and operational tasks as requested by operations manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy: All employees who are not working remotely and who do not have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Mount Vernon, Washinton. On-campus housing and food staples provided for a small fee, if desired.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Paul Satzinger, NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager.
Phone: (360) 445-6657 ext 3221
Contact: Paul Satzinger with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 7, 2022.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: April 4, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.