JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Rations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Manage the planning, ordering, and packaging of food (rations) for backcountry expeditions. Facilitate nutrition education for students and staff.
- Desire to work, teach, and interact with NOLS students and instructors.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills needed.
- Must be self-motivated to be able to work independently when needed.
- Must be team player who can work collaboratively with others and works with the best interests of the team in mind.
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week.
- Must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Report check.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Experience working with bulk food planning and nutrition is helpful.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise food service and finance assistant. Supervise students during preparation of field food on course preparation days and cleaning and restocking at course end.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage expedition food budget (approximately $80,000) including sales revenues. Responsible for disbursement of funds to pay for food related expenses.
- Brief instructors on the course rationing process; plan appropriately for course type and duration.
- Supervise instructors and students throughout course preparation process on course start and end days.
- Manage course resupplies.
- Clean and organize expedition food room, storage room, and spice kits.
- Monitor inventory and manage budget, including sales revenues.
- Establish accounts with vendors and place timely and cost-efficient orders.
- Complete purchasing requisitions in coordination with NOLS World Headquarters finance department.
- Train and supervise the food service and finance assistant.
- Assist in training the operations assistant and intern.
- Maintain a clean, orderly, and sanitary department; adhere to proper sanitation and county health codes.
- Teach nutrition classes to students.
- Facilitate the sale of food to private groups, students, and instructors.
- Perform transportation tasks to support operational logistics and other duties as assigned.
- Perform other logistical and operational tasks as requested by the operations manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Mount Vernon, Washinton. On-campus housing and food staples provided for a small fee, if desired.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Paul Satzinger, NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager.
Phone: (360) 445-6657 ext 3221
Contact Paul Satzinger with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 7, 2019.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: This is a seven-month position from March 18, 2019 through mid-October.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.