JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Outdoor Equipment Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide excellent course support through facilitation of outdoor equipment outfitting, including purchasing, organization, maintenance, rental, and sale.
- Some experience with outdoor equipment needed.
- Must be willing to learn about the technical equipment used for backpacking, mountaineering, keelboat sailing, sea kayaking, and rock climbing.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- History of providing excellent customer service is desirable.
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently as needed.
- Must be a team player who can work collaboratively with others and works with the best interests of the team in mind.
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week.
- Familiarity with Google Suite is desirable.
- Must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Report check.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly supervise two seasonal staff, as well as train other staff to assist with equipment room duties as needed.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage equipment budget including $98,000 in expenses and generating $125,000 in revenue. Responsible for disbursement of funds to pay for equipment-related expenses.
- Train and supervise outfitting seasonal staff.
- Provide timely and growth-oriented feedback to supervisees and co-workers.
- Order and maintain an inventory of outdoor equipment. Create a long-term purchasing strategy that includes equipment rotation and an annual equipment sale.
- Ensure quality of equipment through repairs and warranty.
- Maintain point of sale cash register and adhere to NOLS financial procedures.
- Perform monthly credit card reports.
- Provide instruction and training in outdoor equipment care, repair, and maintenance.
- Perform transportation tasks to support operational logistics and other duties as assigned.
- Perform other logistical and operational tasks as requested by the operations manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates in E-Verify
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Mount Vernon, Washington. On-campus housing and food staples provided for a small fee, if desired.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Paul Satzinger, NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager.
Phone: (360) 445-6657 ext. 3221
Contact Paul Satzinger with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 7, 2019
EMPLOYMENT DATES: This is a seven-month position from March 11, 2019 through mid-October.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.