JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Outdoor Equipment Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Outdoor Equipment Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide excellent course support for students and instructors for all NOLS Pacific Northwest courses. Facilitate the preparation, outfitting, organization, maintenance, and instruction on proper use of outdoor equipment.
- Willing to learn about the maintenance and proper use of the technical equipment used for backpacking, mountaineering, keelboat sailing, sea kayaking, and rock climbing.
- Able to work in a dynamic environment.
- Able to work flexible and irregular hours, including some weekends and holidays, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week.
- Must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Report check.
- Physically able to pick up and carry up to 40 lbs, and to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise students during equipment outfitting and de-issue process. Explain and demonstrate proper use and care of equipment when outfitting students.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Use point of sale program and cash register to cash out students.
- Provide instruction and training in outdoor equipment use and care to students, instructors, and staff.
- Assist with the upkeep, maintenance, and repair of equipment and facilities.
- Use point of sale program and cash register to cash out students, adhering to NOLS financial procedures.
- Clean and organize the workspace to professional standards.
- Drive NOLS vehicles to support courses and operational logistics.
- Perform other logistical and operational tasks as assigned by the operations manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Mount Vernon, Washington. On-campus housing and food staples provided for a small fee, if desired.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to: Paul Satzinger, NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager.
Phone: (360) 445-6657 ext. 3221
Contact Paul Satzinger with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 17, 2020.
- Position One: June 1–August 21, 2020.
- Position Two: June 1–July 31, 2020.
Please indicate in cover letter for which position(s) you are applying.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.