JOB TITLE: NOLS Northeast Transportation and Facilities Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Northeast Program Manager or Assistant Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide excellent service and support to staff and students at NOLS Northeast by coordinating transportation needs and maintaining a safe, clean, and functional campus infrastructure and vehicle fleet.
- Excellent/clean driving record.
- Stop and fix attitude with an eye for details.
- Ability to manage a variety of ongoing tasks, oversee projects, and re-prioritize based on the program needs and unforeseen logistical challenges.
- Some experience with carpentry, building maintenance, home improvement skills, and/ or the ability to use power tools safely.
- Basic understanding vehicles maintenance systems.
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to motivate self and work unsupervised, while at the same time seeking input from supervisor when appropriate.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
- Posess or obtain a NOLS Defensive Driving certification while in the position.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Ensure all drivers for NOLS Northeast are practicing appropriate driving habits and techniques, including training others in defensive driving. Ensure that vehicles are in appropriate working condition.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for managing $2,000 vehicle maintenance budget for fleet of six to seven vehicles and four trailers. Maintain grounds on 3-acre campus with one main building and a New York State-designated campground. Will use NOLS credit cards and petty cash for spending, within budget parameters.
30% Plant and Vehicle Maintenance
• Manage fleet, record service and maintenance.
• Orient and train new drivers.
• Schedule vehicle use in coordination with program team.
• Periodic heavy lifting, including among other things: tires, tire chains, vehicle seats; ration boxes and duffels (25-100 lbs.), fuel cases (36 lbs.), backpacks (50+ lbs.).
• Maintain physical plant and perform maintenance and repairs on building and landscape.
50% Driving and logistical support
• Drive trucks, vans and trailers throughout Northeast operating areas. Drive courses to trailheads, drive in grocery drops, share evacuation driver duty. In some cases, these runs involve full days behind the wheel.
• Assist with equipment issuing at start of courses and de-issuing equipment at the end of courses
• Help out where needed most in supporting field courses.
• Projects as assigned by the Program Manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: All employees that work at NOLS facilities and who have regular contact with other employees and or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees. Employees that work remotely and do not have contact with other employees and or students are not required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Northeast, located in Gabriels, NY in the heart of the Adirondack Park. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY.
FOOD AND LODGING: Shared housing with communal use of kitchen and living areas for $50 per month. Meals are provided when students are at the NOLS Northeast campus (about 20% of the time).
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume, including contact information for three references, to: Taylor Huntley, NOLS Northeast Program Manager.
Contact: Taylor Huntley with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 20, 2022.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: Mid to late May through September 1, 2022.
STARTING DATE: Mid to late May, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.