JOB TITLE: NOLS Northeast Assistant Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Northeast Program Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: The assistant manager works with Northeast program manager to provide leadership in all aspects of NOLS Northeast operations. Responsible for department oversight and manager supervision for outdoor gear services, food services, facilities and vehicles, and information technology systems.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of the NOLS mission, curriculum, and operations. A positive attitude, high degree of motivation, initiative, and strong organizational skills. Must be able to work successfully with a variety of people, including students, staff, parents, service contractors, and the general public. Excellent oral and written communication skills, the ability to work independently, and a willingness to work flexible and irregular hours.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Hire train and directly supervise three department managers and two to three other operational staff. Develop with program manager and execute goals for operations departments. Work in coordination with the program manager to ensure a high level of student service.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for managing and accounting for the equipment, merchandise, maintenance, meals, rations and vehicle maintenance budget and purchasing, totaling approximately $60,000 in expenses and $35,000 in revenue. Additionally responsible for managing asset budgets and purchasing short and long-term assets. Responsible for petty cash disbursements and check signing.
- Work closely with the Northeast program manager as a member of the campus leadership team.
- Prioritize the student experience by providing effective supervision of operations staff.
- Hire and train staff in all operations departments: rations, equipment, transportation and facilities, and general operations.
- Supervise 5-6 operations staff in total, including 3 managers in addition to operations assistants and fellows.
- Monitor equipment inventory levels and purchases based on long-range planning.
- Assist with issue and de-issue of students and instructors when necessary.
- Diversify and grow non-tuition revenue streams including outdoor gear rental/merchandise sales.
- Work with wholesalers on food pricing and item availability.
- Maintain food sanitation standards in accordance with NY Department of Health.
- Maintain accurate business accounting records through reconciling campus credit and gas card receipts, and cash advances.
- Maintain safety and regular servicing of NOLS’ fleet of vehicles in accordance with NOLS policies; administer defensive driving curriculum as necessary.
- Implement operations expense, revenue, and selected asset budgets.
- Share evacuation coordinator duties and manage evacuations as needed.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by the Northeast program manager.
- Serve as the acting program manager of NOLS Northeast during program manager absence.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: All employees that work at NOLS facilities and who have regular contact with other employees and or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees. Employees that work remotely and do not have contact with other employees and or students are not required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Northeast, located in Gabriels, NY, in the heart of the Adirondack Park. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY.
FOOD AND LODGING: The assistant manager will be provided a private bedroom in either a shared house or cabin, and communal use of kitchen and living areas for a modest fee. Meals are provided when students are at the NOLS Northeast campus. Other food is purchased and prepared by the individual.
HOW TO APPLY: Send PDF-formatted cover letter and resume as one PDF attachment to Taylor Huntley, NOLS Northeast Program Manager.
Contact: Taylor Huntley with questions
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 3, 2022
STARTING DATE AND EMPLOYMENT LENGTH: March or early April, 2022. This is a 6-month, full-time position with the potential for additional part-time work.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.