JOB TITLE: NOLS New Zealand Transport Manager/Driver
REPORTS TO: NOLS New Zealand Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Perform maintenance, cleaning, and when necessary, repair of the NOLS New Zealand vehicle fleet. Transport instructors and students to various locations on the South Island, providing a safe, and enjoyable travelling experience. Work with operations staff to ensure all scheduling needs are met and excellent student service is provided.
QUALIFICATIONS: Excellent communication skills, a high level of initiative, and a strong work ethic. Must be interested in working with people from many different backgrounds. Self-motivated and able to work independently without direct supervision. Strong organizational skills. Must have Class 2 and P-Endorsement, and meet NOLS driving requirements. Sound knowledge of the New Zealand Road Code. Previous experience driving buses, both automatic and manual, on sealed and unsealed roads.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Responsible for tracking maintenance of NOLS vehicle fleet. Responsible for conducting Defensive Driving practical skills assessment for other staff. Manage driver schedule in conjunction with operations manager.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for maintenance of 8-vehicle and 5-trailer fleet. Manage the maintenance budget of about $13,000 NZD.
- Maintain vehicle fleet to excellent safety standards.
- Maintain maintenance records, vehicle checks, and manuals of all equipment.
- Adhere to all maintenance and registration requirements as set out by New Zealand law and NOLS transportation policy.
- Drive students, instructors, and re-rations.
- Work closely with local automotive shops to ensure vehicles are serviced and repaired to a high standard.
- Coach NOLS staff in vehicle operation and maintenance, including but not limited to, introduction to driving in New Zealand and loading of trailers.
- Provide Defensive Driving training and assessment for other New Zealand staff.
- Assist with tasks in other departments to ensure excellent student services.
- Supervise students as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the operations manager or director during off-season.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS New Zealand, Aniseed Valley, Nelson and South Island.
Note: accommodation may be available on-site for a modest fortnightly campus fee to be paid by the employee, including the use of communal kitchen and commons areas.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Cait Hall.
Phone: 03 544 6657
Contact Cait Hall with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis until position is filled. We would like to hire the position by November 22, 2019.
STARTING DATE: This job is a part-time, fixed-term position. Work dates for this position are January 13–April 24, 2020. The position commences again on August 24, 2020 and runs through the end of April 2021, with an approximately three-week break from mid-December to mid-January.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.