JOB TITLE: NOLS New Zealand Program Supervisor
REPORTS TO: NOLS New Zealand Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise field faculty by providing curriculum and route information, overseeing risk management practices, and documenting instructor performance. The program supervisor is an integral part of NOLS program system whose objective is to ensure that every NOLS New Zealand student and instructor has a rewarding and successful experience.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of the NOLS mission, curriculum, and operations is vital. NOLS instructor certification required. Knowledge of NOLS New Zealand operations and operating areas is desirable. The ability to supervise multiple course types is preferred. New Zealand skill types include wilderness hiking, mountaineering, sea kayaking, sailing, and canoeing. This position demands excellent oral and written communication, problem-solving, and team-building skills. Staff management experience, the ability to work independently, and a willingness to work flexible and irregular hours are essential. Computer experience with database and word processing applications is required.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly supervise and evaluate field instructors in course logistics, curriculum, risk management, and administrative duties. Facilitate communication between NOLS administration and faculty.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for disbursement of funds to pay for NOLS New Zealand course expenses. The position will have access to NOLS New Zealand accounts by debit card (EFTPOS) and credit card.
- Supervise NOLS New Zealand courses in multiple skill areas.
- Review and organize all course-related paperwork.
- Provide field faculty with clear and concise briefings, debriefings, and timely evaluations. Actively guide staff in professional development.
- Maintain awareness of standards used by New Zealand professional outdoor organizations, e.g. NZOIA, NZMGA, Sport NZ, Skills Active, etc.
- Coordinate with NOLS headquarters to ensure that administrative tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Share evacuation coordinator duties and manage evacuees in town, including communication with students’ families and emergency contacts.
- Facilitate challenging situations including student behavioral issues, injuries/illnesses, and staff performance concerns.
- Maintain and develop curriculum files, library, and other resource materials for NZ field programs.
- Network with peers to exchange ideas and support of school-wide programs.
- Contribute to NOLS publications with annual articles addressing local or school-wide issues.
- Participate in the planning of the following year’s course routes.
- Regularly assist with course transportation, general cleaning, outfitting, and vehicle preparation; occasionally assist with course rationing, meal preparation, and maintenance as necessary to maintain facilities and high caliber student/instructor service. Must be willing to work in both program and operations roles to ensure a high level of program service.
- May be required to act as fill-in field instructor due to injury/illness and possible unavailability of field staff. Must maintain active instructor status.
- Share in the responsibilities of commons/campus living. Must role model excellent in-town expedition behavior.
- Other duties as required or assigned by NOLS New Zealand Assistant Director.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS New Zealand, Aniseed Valley (Nelson/Richmond), New Zealand.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Position is open to all nationalities. The successful candidate’s final approval will be confirmed upon completion of residency or work visa application, if needed.
Send cover letter and resume to Jorn Haack, NOLS New Zealand Assistant Director.
Phone: (64) 3-544-6657
Contact Jorn Haack with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: June 30, 2018.
STARTING DATE: August 27, 2018.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.