JOB TITLE: NOLS New Zealand Assistant Director
REPORTS TO: NOLS New Zealand Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Collaborate with NOLS New Zealand director to oversee daily operations and long-term planning that support excellent program and efficient resource management for NOLS New Zealand. Provide primary oversight for NOLS New Zealand program department. Create a community atmosphere and enthusiasm to work towards common goals. Assume responsibilities as acting director in director’s absence.
QUALIFICATIONS: Understanding of NOLS' philosophy, mission, and values is essential. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Must be self-motivated and able to problem-solve collaboratively under stressful conditions. Team-building skills and experience in field staff supervision or outdoor program management are required.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Oversee program team (up to four part-time program supervisors) that supervises expedition routes, risk management, curriculum delivery, and instructor performance management. Serve as primary liaison with NOLS World Headquarters’ Education and Field Staffing departments, as well as New Zealand regulatory agencies.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Work in conjunction with the NOLS New Zealand director to develop and supervise an annual expense budget of over NZD $1,400,000. Responsible for NOLS New Zealand properties including land, buildings, vehicles, and inventories. Will be responsible for disbursement of funds to pay for operational expenses. Access to petty cash and authorized to sign checks, requisitions, and travel authorities.
- 70% - Oversee program operations and curriculum delivery in alignment with the NOLS New Zealand vision and the current NOLS strategic goals, and NOLS New Zealand operations managers. Hire, supervise, train and develop program supervisors. Brief and debrief field courses, providing supervision for field staff and administrative oversight for students. Act as evacuation coordinator. Assist with risk management and land use access in New Zealand.
- 10% - Work with NOLS World Headquarters on immigration, staffing, and admission requirements.
- 10% - Maintain and expand strong positive relationships with the New Zealand community. Be an advocate for NOLS at conferences and industry meetings. Act as a media contact for NOLS in New Zealand.
- 5% - Work with New Zealand Director on budgets, course planning and program development.
- 5% - Other duties as assigned by NOLS New Zealand director.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS New Zealand, Aniseed Valley, Richmond/Nelson, New Zealand. This is an eight-month position from late August to late April.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Christian Martin, NOLS New Zealand Director. Applicants must be able to legall work in New Zealand.
Phone: +64 (03)-544 6657
Contact Christian Martin with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 2, 2018.
START DATE: January 14, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.