JOB TITLE: NOLS Marketing Director
ORGANIZATION: NOLS is a nonprofit, global wilderness school that educates students in leadership and wilderness skills. Our students learn to step forward on expedition and classroom-based courses. Graduates have a lifelong drive for leadership, outdoor pursuits, continued skills development, and conservation. Since 1965, NOLS has embraced and explored the unknown through outdoor and classroom-based courses. We currently educate over 27,000 students annually and have more than 300,000 alumni. The anual budget is $40 million and we manage a $40 million endowment. For more information, visit www.nols.edu.
REPORTS TO: President
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Marketing Director develops the strategy and leads all marketing efforts at NOLS. The director is first and foremost responsible for driving enrollment of over 27,000 students annually on a wide variety of NOLS courses. They are intimately involved in the cycle of research, product, and marketing. They also lead the strategy for positioning and advancement of the NOLS brand in partnership with the president. They serve on the schoolwide leadership team, making strategic decisions for NOLS. The director works out of our world headquarters in Lander, Wyoming.
QUALIFICATIONS: Practical leadership and management skills, especially in marketing. Must be effective with a variety of personality types, and able to motivate people's ongoing involvement with NOLS. Skills necessary include contemporary marketing skills, with broad ability to utilize current and future technological research and marketing tools. Experience in demand generation and market development, recruiting and sales, social media, public and media relations, and crisis communication. Data driven with strong financial management skills and database fluency. Excellent communication skills including public speaking, presentation skills, and writing skills. Collaborative style, with the ability to work and network across functions, departments, and disciplines, and also broad external audiences. Ability to plan, articulate, garner support, and implement an annual marketing strategic plan.
Ability to work both independently with little close oversight and be an effective team player with staff and volunteers, both wihin and outside of NOLS. Enthusiasm, high energy, and passion for equity, inclusion, and the mission of NOLS are essential. Professional and resourceful style, future oriented, opportunity thinking, and possibility focused.
Bachelor's degree required. Master's preferred. NOLS graduate preferred with familiarity of experiential and wilderness education. Six to ten years of experience in marketing. Experience in both educational and travel businesses preferred, with a key understanding of the 14- to 30-year-old demographic.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly oversees marketing, creative and publications staff, and reports to the president and Board of Trustees on these areas. Works as a member of the school's leadership team to develop, implement, communicate, and evaluate NOLS' strategic priorities. If the president is unavailable, the marketing director may serve as acting president. Works on schoolwide crisis response team, especially in the event of a fatality or serious injury.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Supports the NOLS mission by overseeing the marketing for all students, with tuition making up 85% of NOLS revenues. This position has direct financial oversight for all marketing department budgets, is responsible as a signer to obligate NOLS funds, and works with other directors to build and prioritize the schoolwide budget.
- Develop and implement strategic plan for marketing all educational programs at NOLS including expeditions, wilderness medicine, custom education, alumni trips, and risk management consulting. Develop markets, drive demand, and recruit students. Manage and utilize present and future marketing technologies including EIS, CRM, SEO, optimizers, etc.
- Keeper of the NOLS brand. Manage our brand as an asset and ensure that it reflects the mission of NOLS and supports our overall brand architecture. Serves as the primary point of contact for all brand, licensing, trademark, partnership, and other opportunities that may arise. Work with our 300,000 plus alumni to advance and promote our brand while honoring and developing their passionate attachment to their NOLS experience.
- Oversight of all publications including website, promotional materials, alumni communications, catalogs, annual reports, philanthropic materials, and educational resources. In this capacity, the department works with many internal customers and departments to assist in handling their external communications.
- Responsible for all media and public relations strategy, activities, and opportunities, including social media.
- Works with other directors to develop and implement schoolwide strategic priorities and direction including program, finance, compensation, alumni, educational outreach, and equity and inclusion, as well as partnerships for achieving our mission.
- Serves on schoolwide leadership team in responding to any significant problems and serves on schoolwide crisis response team.
- Identify, develop, supervise, and mentor the marketing, creative, and publications staff.
- Works closely with the marketing committee of the Board of Trustees and with other support and advisory groups.
- Performs other special projects and duties as assigned by the president.
WORK LOCATION: Lander, Wyoming, with extensive domestic U.S. travel.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter, references, and résumé to:
Kathy Dunham, NOLS Executive Assistant
Contact Kathy Dunham with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: June 14, 2018.
STARTING DATE: July 23, 2018 (or earlier if possible).
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.