JOB TITLE: NOLS Custom Education Business Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Custom Education Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The NOLS Custom Education business operations manager works with the Custom Ed management team to define priorities and develop long-range strategic plans for NOLS Custom Education. The business operations manager supports operational delivery of Custom Ed courses and oversees intra- and interdepartmental systems for communication and information exchange. The business operations manager also supports the director with oversight of financial and program metrics.
- Passion for the NOLS mission and Custom Education purpose
- Program administration and project management experience
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Initiative, flexibility, and tolerance for adversity and uncertainty
- Experience using technology to improve business efficiency
- Ability to think systematically while managing a large amount of detail
- Willingness to learn NOLS’ budget, financial, and accounting systems
- Competency with data tracking systems
- Capacity to build interdepartmental networks
- NOLS in-town or teaching experience (preferred)
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
The business operations manager works with the Custom Ed management team to lead Custom Education and establish department culture, tone, and vision. The business operations manager supervises the:
- NOLS Custom Ed operations supervisor and the operations team
- NOLS Custom Ed finance manager
The business operations manager serves as the liaison between NOLS Custom Ed and NOLS campuses and NOLS Field Staffing when determining NOLS’ capacity to run NOLS Custom Ed courses.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: The business operations manager will manage a $4 million budget, which is projected to grow 5-10% per year.
- Supervise and develop strong operational and financial teams.
- Assess school-wide capacity to support NOLS Custom Ed courses including NOLS Field Staffing and NOLS locations.
- Expand the department’s use and development of business systems and technology tools such as the FileMaker Pro database, Hubspot, Excel, etc.
- Oversee NOLS Custom Ed operations including inventory management and logistics for students, instructors, and locations.
- Hold significant financial responsibility for NOLS Custom Ed to include assisting the director in budget-building, working with account managers to optimize the quality-profitability balance, and overseeing the NOLS Custom Ed finance manager to ensure all requirements of the NOLS finance department are fulfilled.
- Support account managers in contract negotiations with clients.
- Ensure continued and expanded availability of NOLS Custom Ed’s student support initiatives, including scholarships and academic credit.
- Proactively manage NOLS Custom Ed personnel resources to support seasonal course fluctuations.
- As appropriate and aligns with skill set, initiate marketing and sales campaigns and projects.
- Serve as acting director and member of the on-call team at appropriate times.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Custom Education office within NOLS Headquarters in Lander, WY.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Anne Magnan, Director, NOLS Custom Education
Contact Anne Magnan with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Application review will start Monday, November 26. The position will be open until filled.
STARTING DATE: January 2, 2019, or earlier if schedule allows.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.