JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: To hire, train, supervise, and support the managers and staff of the rations, kitchen, facilities, transportation, garden, and equipment departments of NOLS Alaska. Work closely with the Alaska director and program manager in long-term planning and oversight for NOLS Alaska.
- A thorough understanding of NOLS policies and procedures.
- A positive attitude, calm demeanor, and high degree of motivation, initiative, and organizational skills are required.
- Experience with or willingness to learn Excel, Google suite, and Point of Sale Inventory Management Systems (POSIM).
- Practical experience in retail management, sales, purchasing, and budgeting.
- Experience in staff management and supervision.
- Knowledge of course areas and general understanding of NOLS Alaska programming and operations.
- The position demands adaptability, along with the ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends or holidays, to support operations.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Hire, train, and supervise the rations, kitchen, facilities, transportation, garden, and equipment managers. As a member of the NOLS Alaska leadership team (along with director and program manager) expect to receive and give timely feedback with team members regarding performance.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for managing and accounting for the equipment, merchandise, facilities, kitchen, rations, and vehicle maintenance budgets. Additionally responsible for managing minor furnishings, computer supplies, operating supplies, asset budgets, and purchasing short- and long-term assets. Responsible for check signing. Responsible for accurately tracking expenses and receipts.
- Hire and train management and staff in all operations departments: rations, kitchen, facilities, transportation, garden, and equipment.
- Write contracts for all operations staff and act as a liaison with staff and HR regarding visa and paperwork requirements.
- Provide effective supervision (clear expectations, comprehensive training, periodic individual check-ins, and growth-oriented evaluations) to ensure all operations departments operate optimally and provide an exceptional student and staff experience while at NOLS Alaska.
- Assist NOLS Alaska director to plan operations departmental budgets.
- Implement all operations department budgets, including rations, kitchen, facilities, transportation, garden, and equipment.
- Plan and oversee all long-term asset projects and coordinate with contractors and subcontractors.
- Manage the acquisition and selling of long-term and short-term assets.
- Build operations calendar and schedules for all departments.
- Monitor Alaska’s equipment inventory requirements, the selection and ordering of equipment, and provide long-range planning in this area to the Alaska equipment manager.
- Oversee the NOLS rationing program (BITE), food service sanitation and the operations of a commercial kitchen (including health department regulations), and general facility maintenance.
- Practical experience in retail management, sales, and Point of Sale Inventory Management Systems (POSIM) is helpful.
- Plan and execute the maintenance, acquisition, cleanliness, and safety of campus and its vehicles, equipment, and supplies.
- Coordinate and oversee all scheduled maintenance and upkeep on campus such as septic pumping, winterizing, and meeting environmental, labor, and sanitation requirements in the state of Alaska.
- Assist caretaker with upkeep and maintenance during the off-season.
- Manage/collaborate with facilities staff to ensure that NOLS Alaska remains in clean, working condition.
- Manage, maintain, and offer technical support for telephone, computer networking systems, and campus facilities at NOLS Alaska. Act as the on-site liaison for information systems to provide network management and troubleshooting.
- Provide technical advice, equipment selection input, and planning assistance to other NOLS locations seasonally.
- Maintain good relations between NOLS Alaska and NOLS finance, purchasing, information systems, and other departments at NOLS World Headquarters.
- Help NOLS foster a strong local presence in Alaska.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Palmer, Alaska.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Chris Brauneis, NOLS Alaska Director
Phone: (307) 335-2334 until mid-April, then (907) 746-4047, ext. 3330.
Contact Chris Brauneis with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 17, 2020.
STARTING DATE: March 16, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.