JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Operations Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Facilities Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide operational support at NOLS Alaska, including facilities maintenance and custodial work, grounds keeping, and upkeep of the vehicle fleet.
- Organized, hardworking, attentive to detail, and able to work independently.
- Must have excellent driving skills and be able to complete NOLS Defensive Driver training.
- Able to perform periodic heavy lifting of up to 60 pounds. Examples include, but are not limited to, propane tanks, laundry, and maintenance tools.
- Able to work flexible hours, including some weekends and holidays.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Uphold excellent in-town work ethic and attitude supporting all operations departments, and work to create positive student experiences.
75% - Facilities cleaning and maintenance
- Provide facilities support to students and instructors.
- Maintain and clean facilities, grounds, and vehicles.
- Assist facilities manager with start-up tasks, as well as end-of-season closing procedures.
- Collect and sort garbage and recycling.
- Take care of maintenance equipment and minor vehicle maintenance.
15% - Assist other NOLS Alaska departments
- Assist with work in other departments, such as rations, equipment, transportation, and/or program.
- Attend managers meetings to ensure location-wide project prioritization and efficiency.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment.
- Perform transportation tasks where needed, including courses pick-ups and drop-offs.
10% - Other duties as assigned by the Alaska facilities manager and operations manager
- Offer and receive timely feedback among NOLS Alaska team members regarding performance.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska in Palmer, Alaska.
WORK CONDITIONS: This is a 4.5-month position. Private rustic housing is provided on site. Meals are cooked for staff during the operating season. Kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. A moderate campus fee applies for staff living on site.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Maggie O’Brien, NOLS Alaska Operations Manager.
Phone: (907) 746-4047x3331
Contact Maggie O’Brien with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications accepted through February 5, 2020. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
STARTING DATE: April 15, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.