JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Operations Manager
- Oversee the production of nutritious meals for NOLS Alaska staff and students.
- Meticulously and consistently follow in-town COVID practices for food preparation and service.
- Maintain a clean, friendly, and welcoming kitchen.
- Supervise a team and foster a fun, engaged, dedicated, creative, and motivated working environment.
- Experience and/or education in food service and kitchen management is preferred.
- Experience serving three meals per day to upwards of 150+ people per day is preferred.
- Strong communication and organizational skills; self-motivation; strong work ethic.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Flexible hours are required; the schedule includes early morning, weekend, and holiday work.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of menu planning and budgeting is preferred.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise one assistant kitchen manager and three to four kitchen assistants. Ensure the kitchen meets current health requirements and that all appliances and utilities are operating safely.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage a budget of approximately $75,000.
- Arrive to work promptly and with a clean, neat appearance.
- Execute meal schedule within the seasonal operating plan.
- Maintain relationships with food suppliers, prioritizing local, sustainable food sources when possible.
- Facilitate planning sessions with field faculty.
- Plan menu, purchase inventory, and clean and maintain work areas.
- Observe local health department regulations and work as a shift cook in the schedule.
- With the operations manager, oversee budget, track monthly financial reports, maintain purchasing and pricing records, and submit requisitions for all invoices.
- Plan all equipment maintenance and purchases with assistance from Alaska Operations Manager.
- For future seasons: assist Alaska operations manager with hiring kitchen staff.
- Train new staff.
- Build and execute the scheduling of kitchen staff.
- Conduct end of season performance reviews for all kitchen staff.
- Meet weekly with the NOLS Alaska manager team.
- Maintain flexibility and adaptability toward unexpected logistical changes.
- Use the Google Suite to coordinate schedules and meal needs for both campus and road meals.
- Winterize and “deep clean” the kitchen at the end of the operating season.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment while striving to maintain balance between work and life.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: All employees that work at NOLS facilities and who have regular contact with other employees and or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees. Employees that work remotely and do not have contact with other employees and or students are not required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska, Palmer, AK
WORK CONDITIONS: This is a 4.5-month, 40 hour/week position. Private rustic housing is offered on-site. Meals are provided for staff between approximately May 1 and late-August. Additional kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. Employees will be expected to follow COVID in-town mitigation practices at all times. Campus fees apply for staff living on site.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Chris Brauneis, Alaska Program Director.
Phone: 907-746-4047 ext. 3330
Contact: Chris Brauneis with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 4, 2022
STARTING DATE: Mid-to-late April, 202.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.