JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Assist in the preparation of nutritious meals for NOLS Alaska students and staff.
- Willingness to learn about cooking and food production.
- Hard-working, detail-oriented, and committed to excellence.
- Self-directed, efficient and able to make decisions independently.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. Examples include, but are not limited to, bags of flour, boxes of food, and coolers.
- Able to stand for 6–8 hours at a time.
- Able to work flexible hours, including some weekends and holidays.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise groups during cleanup duties.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Attention to the proper care, cleaning, and maintenance of the kitchen facility and its equipment.
- Work in a team to assist with the preparation and serving of nutritious meals for 20–120 people.
- Maintain a high standard of sanitation and organization in the kitchen.
- Maintain an organized and efficient system of waste disposal: recycling, composting, and fluid waste.
- Collaborate with NOLS Alaska garden in regards to meal preparation.
- Provide timely and growth-oriented feedback to supervisor and co-workers.
- Other tasks as assigned by the kitchen manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required for all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska in Palmer, Alaska.
WORK CONDITIONS: These are 3- to 4-month positions. Private rustic housing is provided on site. Meals are cooked for staff during the operating season. Kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. A moderate campus fee applies for staff living on site.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and Resume to Maggie O’Brien, NOLS Alaska Operations Manager.
Phone: 907-746-4047 ext. 3331
Contact Maggie O’Brien with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications accepted through February 5, 2020. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
START DATE: Staggered start dates for 2020, ranging from April 20 to May 3.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.