JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Assistant Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: To assist NOLS Alaska kitchen manager with staff supervision, planning, ordering, and preparing meals for NOLS Alaska students and staff.
- Experience cooking for large groups is necessary.
- Motivation to produce nutritious, well-balanced meals is important.
- Able to work safely and efficiently without direct supervision.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Able to stand for 6-8 hours at a time.
- Able to work flexible hours including some weekends and holidays.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Assist with the supervision of kitchen assistants. Supervise during clean up after meals. Assume leadership of the kitchen when kitchen manager is not present.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Attention to the proper care, cleaning, and maintenance of the kitchen facility and its equipment. Make large purchases at local businesses requiring proper receipt management.
- Arrive to work promptly and with a clean, neat appearance.
- Assist kitchen manager with menu planning, recipe building and meal scheduling.
- Assist kitchen manager with the training and supervision of kitchen assistants in sanitation, organization, meal preparation and recipe building.
- Facilitate planning sessions with field instructors.
- Maintain relationships with food suppliers, prioritizing local, sustainable food sources when possible.
- Assist with road meal preparation and ensuring its readiness and completion.
- Oversee food preparation for remote meals served on the road.
- Assume the role and responsibilities of the kitchen manager in their absence.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment while striving to maintain balance between work and life.
- Other duties as assigned by kitchen manager.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska, Palmer, Alaska
WORK CONDITIONS: This is a 4.5-5-month position. Private rustic housing is provided on-site. Meals are cooked for staff during the operating season. Kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. Employees will be expected to follow COVID in-town mitigation practices at all times. Campus fees apply for staff living on site.
START DATE: May 3, 2021.
HOW TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to: Chris Brauneis, NOLS Alaska Program Director.
Phone: (907) 746-4047, ext. 3330
Contact: Chris Brauneis with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications accepted through January 4, 2021.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.