JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Assistant Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: To assist NOLS Alaska kitchen manager with staff supervision, planning, ordering, and preparing meals for NOLS Alaska students and staff.
- Experience cooking for large groups is necessary.
- Motivation to produce nutritious, well-balanced meals is important.
- Able to work safely and efficiently without direct supervision.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Able to stand for 6-8 hours at a time.
- Able to work flexible hours including some weekends and holidays.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Assist with the supervision of kitchen assistants. Supervise during clean up after meals. Assume leadership of the kitchen when kitchen manager is not present.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Attention to the proper care, cleaning, and maintenance of the kitchen facility and its equipment. Make large purchases at local businesses requiring proper receipt management.
- Arrive to work promptly and with a clean, neat appearance.
- Assist kitchen manager with menu planning, recipe building and meal scheduling.
- Assist kitchen manager with the training and supervision of kitchen assistants in sanitation, organization, meal preparation and recipe building.
- Facilitate planning sessions with field instructors.
- Maintain relationships with food suppliers, prioritizing local, sustainable food sources when possible.
- Assist with road meal preparation and ensuring its readiness and completion.
- Oversee food preparation for remote meals served on the road.
- Assume the role and responsibilities of the kitchen manager in their absence.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment while striving to maintain balance between work and life.
- Other duties as assigned by kitchen manager.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: All employees that work at NOLS facilities and who have regular contact with other employees and or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees. Employees that work remotely and do not have contact with other employees and or students are not required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska, Palmer, Alaska
WORK CONDITIONS: This is a 4.5-5-month position. Private rustic housing is provided on-site. Meals are cooked for staff during the operating season. Kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. Employees will be expected to follow COVID in-town mitigation practices at all times. Campus fees apply for staff living on site.
HOW TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to: Chris Brauneis, NOLS Alaska Program Director.
Phone: (907) 746-4047, ext. 3330
Contact: Chris Brauneis with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications accepted through January 3, 2022.
START DATE: Mid-late April, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.