JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Equipment Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Equipment Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Facilitate the maintenance, delivery, use, return, and repair of outdoor equipment for NOLS Alaska courses.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Able to lift and carry 60 lbs. Examples include, but are not limited to, duffels of gear, merchandise, racks, and boxes of gear.
- Attention to detail and a vision and ability to complete tasks.
- Willingness to learn about outdoor programming and equipment, as well as basic record keeping and financial transactions.
- Able to work flexible hours including some weekends and holidays.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise and assist students with equipment. Explain and demonstrate proper use and care of equipment to students and instructors.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for maintenance and repair of Alaska field equipment, as well as upkeep and cleanliness of facilities. Will process cash, check, and credit card transactions through cash register and point of sale inventory software.
- Arrive to work promptly and with a clean, neat appearance.
- Check, clean, repair, and maintain equipment for hiking, mountaineering, and sea kayaking courses.
- Routinely clean and maintain the equipment area to high professional standards.
- Assist in the issue and de-issue of equipment to students and instructors.
- Provide assistance to instructors.
- Provide instruction and training in equipment repair and maintenance for students and instructors.
- Administer sales transactions.
- Assume additional projects as assigned by the equipment manager.
- Provide timely and growth-oriented feedback to supervisor and co-workers.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment while striving to maintain balance between work and life.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska campus, Palmer, Alaska.
WORK CONDITIONS: This is a 3-3.5 long month position. Private rustic housing is provided on-site. Meals are cooked for staff during the operating season. Kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. Employees will be expected to follow COVID in-town mitigation practices at all times. A moderate campus fee applies for staff living on site.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Chris Brauneis, NOLS Alaska Operations Manager.
Phone: (907) 746-4047, ext. 3330
Contact: Chris Brauneis with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications accepted through February 1, 2019. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
START DATE:May 31, 2021.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitingthislink.