JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Bus Driver
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Transportation Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide safe transportation for NOLS Alaska students and staff in a variety of NOLS vehicles, including school buses.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) and current Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
- Excellent driving skills and willingness to complete NOLS defensive driver training.
- Able to pass unscheduled/random drug testing.
- Able to work flexible hours including some overnight drives, weekends, and holidays.
- Previous experience with driving buses and small trailer towing.
- Able to drive long hours (up to 12 hours/day).
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Possess basic mechanical aptitude and ability to consistently perform pre-trip mechanical inspection of vehicles, as well as manage minor roadside mechanical issues.
- Able to work independently, be attentive to details, and be resourceful.
- Desire to interact with NOLS students, instructors, and in-town staff.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
- Perform thorough vehicle pre- and post-trip inspections.
- Supervise equipment loading and unloading and passenger safety.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY:
- Carry petty cash, gas cards, and credit cards.
- Accurately track on-the-road expenses and submit receipts in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintain a driver log book.
- Ensure vehicles are loaded with the necessary food, equipment, and other supplies before each drive.
- Drive NOLS courses to various locations around Alaska.
- Drop and retrieve equipment and other supplies at various locations.
- Maintain clean and professional condition of vehicles.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Must have a clean driving history, posses or obtain a Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Examiner’s Certificate, and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska, Palmer, AK.
WORK CONDITIONS: This is a three-month position of approximately 30 hours per week, with possibility of more hours during peak season. Private rustic housing is provided on-site. Meals are cooked for staff during the operating season. Kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. Campus fees apply for staff living on site.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to Maggie O'Brien, NOLS Alaska Operations Manager.
Phone: (907) 746-4047, ext. 3331
Contact Maggie O'Brien with any questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Position open until filled.
STARTING DATE: May 11, 2018. Start date can be flexible.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.