JOB TITLE: Interim NOLS River Base Program Manager
REPORTS TO: Rocky Mountain Program Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee all aspects of NOLS River Base operations in accord with the NOLS vision and strategic goals. Work to ensure program quality and promote student and staff satisfaction. Act as NOLS’ representative in all aspects of NOLS River Base operations from land management and community relationships to program supervision and course operational support.
- Thorough understanding of NOLS’ philosophy, mission, and values
- Belief in the power of a NOLS student experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, with creative problem solving and team-building skills
- Able to work effectively both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Able to lead well under stress
- Supervision experience is preferred
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Hires, trains, supervises, and creates structure to develop a career path for staff. Responsible for the oversight of approximately 5,100 student days and 290+ students.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for an annual budget of approximately $360,000 in expenses. Responsible for all NOLS River Base assets and inventories. This position will have signature authority on all relevant accounts, oversee petty cash, and be responsible for accounting.
- Plan operational activities, including staff structure, logistics, program scheduling, content and curriculum, and other operational goals.
- Hire, train, and supervise staff.
- Create an inclusive and welcoming environment for students, staff, and faculty.
- Provide outstanding student service and a welcoming atmosphere. Incorporate student and instructor feedback as appropriate.
- Assure high-quality supervision through effective training; accurate briefings and debriefings; honest, growth-oriented evaluations; and responsiveness to feedback.
- Risk management oversight, including field safety reports and evacuation supervision (and prevention thereof).
- Work with the Rocky Mountain evac team in regards to student discipline and separations, including intervention and family contact.
- Obtain and maintain necessary river permits.
- Supervise the maintenance and safety of campus, vehicles, equipment and supplies.
- Strive to make NOLS River Base a dynamic and fulfilling place to work.
- Assure compliance with Utah laws and business procedures.
- Act as the NOLS representative to the public, including the local community, alumni, parents, government officials, and other business contacts.
- Build and maintain relations with other NOLS departments, locations, and World Headquarters.
- Help to create growth opportunities for NOLS River Base program.
- NOLS field instructor preferred.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Vernal, UT.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: This is a full-time, benefited, one-year position with the potential opportunity for field or classroom teaching. The operating season is from February through November.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Jen Sall, NOLS Rocky Mountain Director.
Phone: (307) 332-1417
Contact Jen Sall with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: September 3, 2019.
STARTING DATE: Train for two weeks in the fall of 2019 with the current River Base Manager. Dates of employment as Interim are December 2019 through December 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.