JOB TITLE: Instructor-In-Training Mentor
REPORTS TO: Summer Recruitment and Development Coordinator
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide guidance and support for Instructors-in-Training (IIT) during their field course development phase to ensure effective orientation to specific section learning objectives and team building with instructor teams supporting people in the IIT role. Work with Recruitment and Development Coordinator to ensure the effective progression of field training opportunities and evaluate Instructor Course readiness for IITs.
Each IIT will also have a member of the I-team as a mentor during their course. This mentorship role is intended to add extra support to the IIT’s development in order to set them up for success.
- Experienced NOLS field faculty.
- Must be available in person, or online, for IIT course briefings and debriefs during summer 2021. (May have field work as well and can coordinate schedules).
- Excitement about welcoming and supporting IITs and building strong relationships to support mentor role.
- Must have awareness of equity issues in the outdoors; experience expanding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work; and the NOLS mission.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
- Connect one-on-one, in person or online, before and during your assigned IIT’s course briefing to provide guidance, answer questions and, help with setting appropriate goals and identifying resources. Use the FIS (Field Instructor Skills) to tailor learning and performance goals for each section to be used as a tool for field supervisors during the course.
- Be part of the course debrief to make sure evaluations are connected with the objectives of the course, understand IIT experience to refine learning objectives for subsequent sections.
- Provide support and act as an ally for IITs.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska, NOLS Rocky Mountain, or online from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, New Mexico, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, or any country where NOLS has a campus.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: Summer Recruitment and Development Coordinator Martín Arteaga Miranda.
Contact: Please contact Martín Arteaga by email or WhatsApp (+56 97 4512574) with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 25, 2021.
STARTING DATE: May 4, 2021 for training.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitinglink.