JOB TITLE: Information Systems Director
REPORTS TO: Finance Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Information Systems Director is responsible for planning the overall design and implementation of information and telecommunications systems to support and advance the mission of the school. The IS director ensures that NOLS’s technology systems can quickly adapt to the changing needs of the organization.
The Information Systems Department consists of three primary groups:
- Network Engineering, to connect the various branches with core system services.
- Software Engineering, to provide custom software to serve students and staff.
- Technical Support, to aid users in their use of phones, computers, and software.
QUALIFICATIONS: Successful candidates will have seven years of experience in leading teams and/or selecting technologies that solve organizational challenges. While not required, knowledge of NOLS operating procedures will be essential to someone lacking a strong technical background.
- Build and develop a team focused on excellence.
- Hire, engage, and retain technical staff in a competitive technological market.
- Provide project management to significant tasks, including scheduling, prioritization of work, and task assignment. Mentor department heads in project management of smaller tasks.
- Mentor IS staff in excellent customer service for NOLS staff and students.
- Facilitate critical incident debriefs to ensure continual improvements in service.
- Prioritize tasks such that IS resources can have largest impact.
- Supervise technology decisions, including build vs. buy decisions, choice of foundational technologies, and deployment strategies (such as cloud-based vs. locally hosted solutions).
- Supervise network resources to connect NOLS locations from around the world.
- Ensure minimal downtime with proper monitoring systems that enable quick identification and response to system failures.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervises a department of approximately 12 individuals, with direct supervision of half of those. Maintains positive and productive relationships with internal and external audiences through written and verbal contact. Writes quarterly summary of achievements and challenges to Board of Trustees.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for building and managing Information Systems departmental budget and the technology asset budgets school wide.
40% Planning and long-term strategy: Responsible for the creation and maintenance of a long term IS strategic plan that allows NOLS to have the most appropriate technological assets to meet our needs within the budget. Advise management of the most appropriate uses of technology and how it can broaden the mission and reach of NOLS.
50% Administration: Assures all information systems are provided with the tone and philosophy appropriate for NOLS. Responsible for maintaining systems to ensure that data and appropriate technology is available and reliable on a schoolwide basis. Gather project requests from departments around the school and work with IS department members and project stakeholders to prioritize and schedule projects. Responsible for NOLS’s compliance with applicable information technology requirements, such as the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard and the HIPPA Data Security Standard. Budget for and purchase IT assets and services schoolwide. Serves as a resource to other department directors to assist in making technology decisions.
10% Other: Answers requests for information and advice from other departments, management and the board of trustees. Special projects as assigned.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates In E-verify
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: World Headquarters, Lander, Wyoming
HOW TO APPLY:
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: Jeff Buchanan, Finance Director
Contact Jeff Buchanan with Questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 23, 2018
STARTING DATE: March 2018
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.