JOB TITLE: Field Staffing Director
Reports to: Field Education and Faculty Director
The field staffing director is part of the leadership team responsible for strategic planning that aligns NOLS field faculty corps with expedition course mix opportunities. The field staffing director oversees the department that contracts instructors in teams that support:
exceptional student outcomes on NOLS expeditions, and
career progression, development, and work opportunities that generate high career satisfaction and longevity for NOLS field instructors.
- Commitment to NOLS' mission and values, and to NOLS as a learning organization
- Excellent communication skills and a passion for creative problem-solving
- History of managing structure for collaborative teamwork, and clear roles and routines
- Track record of building positive leadership environments that embody equity and inclusion for diverse teams
- Experience with contracting and evaluating staff for technical positions
- Experience leading teams in dynamic environments and through change
- Passion for organizing workflows with a high level of detail accuracy and tracking
- Interest in working in a collaborative fashion with a broad range of NOLS staff
- Ability to communicate with internal and external audiences in a way that inspires people to serve the NOLS mission as field instructors
- Proficient at managing spreadsheets and data analysis
Leadership or Supervisory Duties
Oversees the hiring, training for 670+ field staff.
Supervises five field staff coordinators and logistics coordinator. Eventually will also supervise field instructor development department lead.
Will eventually supervise one to two more Operations departments.
Funds and/or Property
Develops and maintains the field staff payroll budget of four and half million dollars. Develops and maintains the field staff travel budget of almost one million dollars. Manages sick days and travel reimbursements for field staff.
- Develops long-term plans for field couse mix based on faculty development capabilities and student demand.
- Part of the director team managing performance evaluation systems to ensure instructor performance is accurately assessed and appropriately linked to promotion.
- Manages field staff performance concerns through change management to resolution including, as appropriate, termination.
- Compiles, tracks and analyzes faculty data for decision-making and measuring progress towards strategic goals.
- Develops the field staff pay scale and oversees field staff benefit programs.
- Supervises the field staffing coordinators. Sets a positive tone and builds an atmosphere conducive to teamwork and consistency.
- Communicates with field staff via informal open-door policy, phone, email, forums, and other means.
- Collaborates with NOLS campuses, Wilderness Medicine, Custom Education, and Alumni to staff these programs.
- Provide structure to execute planned career pathways for field instructors.
- Other duties/special projects as assigned by Field Education and Faculty Director.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters, Lander, Wyoming
HOW TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and resume to Operations Office Manager Debbie Derbish at email@example.com.
Contact Operations Director Rachael Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 5, 2021
STARTING DATE: Ideal start date in July; no later than August 1, 2021
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.