JOB TITLE: Field Staffing Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Field Staffing Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Field staffing coordinators work as a collaborative team to support exceptional student experiences through the seasonal hiring and oversight of NOLS field faculty. They work closely with the field staffing director, program staff at NOLS campus locations, and the expedition education and risk management departments to supervise faculty performance and build effective field teams.
- Knowledge of NOLS’ schoolwide philosophy and field curriculum.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Able to remain compassionate and solution-oriented in the midst of adversity, perceived difference, and at times, high levels of uncertainty.
- Able to work in a fast-paced team environment as well as independently, where the ability to manage details and prioritize tasks is essential.
- Organized, creative, and flexible.
- Experience with and/or the ability to learn methods of working with spreadsheet data and tools.
- Previous field and/or supervisory experience in outdoor education.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Operate as a member of a team that oversees the hiring, development, performance, and promotion of approximately 700 field faculty.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Obligates NOLS funds as a signer of field staff employment agreements.
- Manage ongoing hiring of field faculty to provide effective, qualified instructors for each course. Balance emergent needs with longer-term development of individual instructors and NOLS field faculty pool overall.
- Develop seasonal hiring plans, track student enrollment, communicate regularly with program staff at NOLS campus locations, and correspond with field staff.
- Understand faculty performance by connecting with faculty and program staff at NOLS locations, and by reading staff performance evaluations.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to field faculty regarding performance and career development.
- Track instructor availability, openings, and other relevant data via spreadsheets and other tools. Creative thinking to develop and improve systems is welcome and encouraged.
- Contribute to field faculty recruitment and evaluation of field instructor course candidates, and assist in prioritizing faculty for training opportunities.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
WORK LOCATION: This is a full-time, benefitted position. Housing is not provided. For qualified NOLS faculty, occasional field or classroom course work is possible.
This position has flexibility to work remotely from NOLS world Headquarters in Lander, WY, with a preference for working at a NOLS campus. Options for remote work are limited to the following U.S. states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, New Mexico, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. We can also support an employee in Brazil, or any other country where NOLS has a campus.
The starting pay range for this position is $35,658 per year, dependent on experience. Other benefits include: 403 B, 403 B contribution after one year, Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending account, Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time off.
COVID POLICY: All employees who are not working remotely and who have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and résumé to:
Name: Debbie Derbish
Contact: Field Staffing Director Toby Briggs (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Currently Hiring.
STARTING DATE: Openings for fall and spring start dates.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.