JOB TITLE: Field Faculty Training Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Field Instructor Development Department Lead
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Training Coordinator implements and coordinates instructor course and alternative field instructor certification pathways, as well as the Field Instructor Seminar program. Coordinates with the field staffing director and field development lead, and recruitment and development coordinator to determine instructor course and seminar priorities.
- Commitment to NOLS' mission and values, and to NOLS as a learning organization.
- Excited to run expedition programming,for instructor certification and seminar programs—including admissions, coordination with locations, and staffing.
- Pass-off new instructor cohorts capabilities and aspirations to pathways and staffing teams.
- Experience with mentorship and coaching.
- History of collaborative team problem solving.
- Ability to hold both long-term department goals and individual instructor communication about career vision as important for student selection for instructor courses and seminars.
- Commitment to building positive leadership environments that embody equity and inclusion for diverse teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills from public facing written course information to individual conversations with instructors.
- Ability to communicate with external audiences in a way that inspires people to serve the NOLS mission as field instructors.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Help create, oversee, and maintain the seminar mix to ensure seminars and curricula meet field staffing needs, and exceed strategic diversity and inclusion goals. Leads selection and certification process for all field instructor courses, seminars, and alternative certification programs. Support locations in briefing, debriefing, and supervision of seminar and instructor course instructors.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Supervises budget over $400,000 in seminar and certification programs.
- Lead selection and certification process for all instructor courses, seminars and alternative certification programs, including awarding instructor course scholarships.
- Identify opportunities and innovate programming for faculty training and onboarding.
- Coordinate with location and field staffing office to develop and implement field staff seminar mix and schedule.
- Collaborate with the Expedition and Leadership Education department on Leadership Seminar mix and execution.
- Enroll seminar participants. Collect all tuition and paperwork. Communicate roster, wait list, and prioritization information to participants via phone and email.
- Create and edit seminar information. Communicate seminar information to participants. Read evaluations and summaries of seminars.
- Track overall training needs and provide analysis of training programs.
- Consult with field staffing and program staff on seminar instructor hiring.
- Orient instructor course graduates to career pathways and training program opportunities.
- Communicate with staff via informal open door policy, phone, e-mail, Skype and forums.
- May serve as a mentor for current instructors.
- Hire and supervise temporary instructor course application review staff as needed.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION and CONDITIONS: This is a benefited position with apprxomately 80% office time. Twenty percent of positions would be prioritized to instruct courses or participate in seminars.
This position needs to be in Lander, Wyoming during spring instructor course programming. There could be flexibility to work remotely during other seasons, with a preference for working at a NOLS campus. Options for remote work are limited to the following U.S. states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado , Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, New Mexico, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. We can also support an employee in any other country where NOLS has a campus.
TO APPLY: Email PDF formatted cover letter and résumé to Operations Office Manager Debbie Derbish at email@example.com.
Contact Operations Director Rachael Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: July 2021.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.