JOB TITLE: Field Education and Faculty Director
REPORTS TO: Operations Director
JOB OBJECTIVE The field education and faculty director is part of the Operations division director team responsible for excellent expedition program execution in a leadership environment that embodies equity and inclusion for diverse teams. This position helps develop schoolwide priorities and policies for expedition students and field faculty. They lead a division of Operations that ensures field instructor recruitment, selection, training, and career development align with exceptional student outcomes and NOLS’ field course mix opportunities. The field education and faculty director leads collaboration between the Expedition and Leadership Education, Field Staffing, and Field Instructor Development departments.
- Inspiring vision for the value of experiential education and NOLS as a learning organization.
- Experience with organizational leadership and managing multi-functional teams.
- Track record of strategic team leadership and initiative.
- Fascination with creative problem-solving and innovation.
- Experience with human resources development and contracting.
- History of supervision that leads to effective action that balances flexible problem solving with decisive action toward a vision.
- Track record of building positive leadership environments that embody equity and inclusion for diverse teams.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in public forums and one-on-one, with a variety of audiences.
- Interest in working in a collaborative fashion with a broad range of NOLS staff.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES
Leads collaboration between three departments that align faculty capability with student outcomes: Expedition and Leadership Education (includes research and curriculum), Field staffing Office, and Field Instructor Development department. Will eventually supervise one or two additional Operations departments.
With operations director and associate operations director, leads the school’s division responsible for field expedition program delivery.
FUNDS and/or PROPERTY
Oversee educational design and instructional capability for field course mix accounting for over $20,000,000 in annual revenue.
- Synchronize priorities and efforts between field faculty corps development and contracting, and exceptional student outcomes for NOLS’ expeditions.
- Develops long-term plans for couse mix based on faculty development capabilities and student demand.
- Oversees faculty corps capacity and their ability to deliver excellent NOLS field programs.
- Work with the Expedition and Leadership Education director to ensure curriculum development, faculty training, and program delivery produce exceptional student experiences that align with NOLS Learning Goals and Objectives.
- Works with Operations director team to support and challenge Operations’ priorities and tactics.
- In collaboration with NOLS human resources director, create compensation design and priorities for field faculty
- Visits locations and field courses. Ground priorities and change management in direct contact with student and faculty experience..
- Represent NOLS to external audiences through presentations, conferences and as a member of other boards or councils.
- Performs other special projects, including crisis response, and other areas as assigned by Operations director.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: This position could be remote, but would require bi-monthly, in-person site visits to NOLS World Headquarters, including two extended visits annually for planning and evaluations cycles with director teams. To be eligible for remote work you must live in one of the following U.S. states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado , Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, New Mexico, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send a cover letter and resume to: Operations Office Manager Debbie Derbish at email@example.com.
Contact: Operations Director Rachael Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 5, 2021
STARTING DATE: August 1, 2021
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitinglink.