JOB TITLE: Diversity and Inclusion Manager
REPORTS TO: Human Resources and Diversity Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Work with the human resource and diversity director to create and manage policies and programs to attract, retain, and promote a diverse student body and workforce for the school and further an inclusive NOLS community.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in business or HR management, social science, or other related fields. Prior experience working in diversity and inclusion and experience in developing diversity and inclusion training sessions. Excellent professional communication skills and intercultural competence; self-motivation; technological competence; problem-solving and community building skills; ability to connect with diverse audiences; and patience and dedication are required. An understanding of the NOLS philosophy, mission, and Diversity and Inclusion Plan 2020 are essential as are strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and problem solve. Must have the ability to formulate a vision and follow through. Must be willing to travel. People of color are encouraged to apply.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: The Diversity and Inclusion Manager is responsible for coordinating the implementation of the Diversity and Inclusion Plan 2020. He/she supervises a cadre of diversity and inclusion facilitators and may supervise an intern or fellow. This position collaborates with all departments/locations to further the diversity strategic goals.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for a budget of approximately $90K.
- Maintain and monitor strategic diversity and inclusion goals as outlined in the Diversity and Inclusion Plan 2020. Guide and empower stakeholders to meet school goals.
- Manage the NOLS Gateway Partner Program through which the school provides scholarships to members of partnership organizations who are from underserved communities.
- Develop and maintain diversity, inclusion, and cultural competency curriculum. Work with the education director, expedition curriculum manager, and wilderness medicine program team to ensure diversity and inclusion efforts are integrated with other NOLS curriculum.
- Facilitate diversity and inclusion training for staff through workshops, cultural competency seminars, and other appropriate formats and venues. Train and supervise facilitators to assist or lead workshops.
- Initiate and support research aimed to support the goals of the diversity and inclusion plan 2020.
- Educate the NOLS community on diversity and inclusion initiatives via the newsletter, manager notes, and board reports.
- Conduct external diversity and inclusion trainings or present at conferences.
- Works with the marketing team to engage in special projects to promote diversity and inclusion at NOLS and within the outdoor industry.
- Other duties as assigned.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters, Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and résumé to Cathy McAvoy.
Contact Linda Lindsey with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 9, 2018
STARTING DATE: May 7, 2018
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.